Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

Going Underground

I will not make a comment.

From the Sun:

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado could miss Saturday's annual FanFest because he's committed to be with his best friend for the birth of his first child.

Machado and Oakland Athletics first baseman Yonder Alonso became fast friends since meeting in 2009. Alonso's fiance, Amber Harmon, is due to deliver the couple's first child, a baby boy, later this week, according to a source.

There is still hope that Machado could attend FanFest, and the Orioles remain committed to working to help him attend, even if it's just for a few hours.

FanFest is the one offseason event that all players under team control are required to attend and few exceptions are granted. Right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez and recently acquired slugger Mark Trumbo were given permission to miss the event because of previous commitments.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-more-on-manny-machados-availability-for-fanfest-20151208-story.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The article fails to mention that Manny is married to Yonder Alonso's sister. So, this child will be his niece or nephew. Personally, I understand his desire to be with family under the circumstances. It'll be nice if he can fly in for some of Fanfest, but it's hardly the end of the world if he can't. A few players miss Fanfest every year for one reason or another.

The article fails to mention that Manny is married to Yonder Alonso's sister. So, this child will be his niece or nephew. Personally, I understand his desire to be with family under the circumstances. It'll be nice if he can fly in for some of Fanfest, but it's hardly the end of the world if he can't. A few players miss Fanfest every year for one reason or another.

No it doesn't. For some reason the OP neglected to include this paragraph:

For Machado -- who was raised by his mother in a single-parent home in Miami -- Alonso and his family have long been like a second family since the two met. Machado and Alonso is more than extended family. He’s also his brother-in-law. Machado married Alonso’s sister, Yainee, last offseason.

Though, I agree it could have been made clearer in the article.

It is in the article. I know you sometimes can't see it in the Sun. I did not want to print the whole thing.

For Machado -- who was raised by his mother in a single-parent home in Miami -- Alonso and his family have long been like a second family since the two met. Machado and Alonso is more than extended family. He’s also his brother-in-law. Machado married Alonso’s sister, Yainee, last offseason.

I know, it just seemed like a salient point, as Frobby noted. No offense intended.

No offense. All good. I agree that he should be in Florida,if they are that close. Alonso was how he met his wife. Looks like the kid is due December 10th ,so hopefully on time and Manny can be at Fanfest.

http://registry.thebump.com/amber-harman-yonder-alonso-december-2015/12758265

I have attended none of my niece or nephew's births. Those who know me well know that I am a doting uncle.

I am sure there will be people that complain about this but these are likely the same grumpy old men that get upset that they have children during the season and somehow dont plan for childbirth in the offseason.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I prefer my our players have their children sometime other than the playoffs.

I have attended none of my niece or nephew's births. Those who know me well know that I am a doting uncle.

Just get them something nice from the gift registry and you will be forgiven.

https://www-secure.target.com/gift-registry/giftgiver?registryId=Cbui2hZRDGdzubrxpliPPg&clkid=47a676b5N396359f1b43d994d9c65013f&lnm=81938&afid=The+Knot%2C+Inc.+and+Subsidiaries&ref=tgt_adv_xasd0002

OK, I'll be that guy. If 95% of the work force in America asked to miss an important function for their business because a niece or nephew was being born their boss would look at them like they had 2 heads.

I really think this is a case of "whew something came up that will hopefully get me out of fanfest. He has another full month off that he can spend all the time he wants with the extended family.

I know I am going to get ripped for this but Manny is going to be wealthy beyond belief in the near future. This to me is a minor inconvenience (fanfest) that he should be willing to make for the fans that will be supporting his salary for years to come.

Archived