Manny Misses Fan Fest (Buck Not Happy).

Going Underground

No problem with this.

Family first. I was there for the birth of my niece and nephew, sharing that with people I love was an experience that I am so glad to have had.

Really the only people I can see having an issue with this are selfish people.

I really don't have a problem with it. I just think it is probably helicopter uncling and absolutely because he was renewed in his contract and not paid a million or so.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes he is.

FanFest is the one offseason event that all players under team control are required to attend and few exceptions are granted. Right-hander Ubaldo Jimenez and recently acquired slugger Mark Trumbo were given permission to miss the event because of previous commitments.

Are you sure they are contractually obligated to come? Will take your word for that but curious just how you know that to be true.

Even if he is, I would think this qualifies as an exception in today's day and age. Times and expectations change, in this case for the better. I doubt any team would have an issue with Manny doing this, I doubt the O's would or do. 20 years ago this would have been news, today, it's a non issue.

OK, I'll be that guy. If 95% of the work force in America asked to miss an important function for their business because a niece or nephew was being born their boss would look at them like they had 2 heads.

I really think this is a case of "whew something came up that will hopefully get me out of fanfest. He has another full month off that he can spend all the time he wants with the extended family.

I know I am going to get ripped for this but Manny is going to be wealthy beyond belief in the near future. This to me is a minor inconvenience (fanfest) that he should be willing to make for the fans that will be supporting his salary for years to come.

I guess I just differ with you on whether FanFest is a sufficiently "important function for their business" that it should override Manny's desire to be with his family. If he was missing games for this, it would bother me a bit. For FanFest, I wouldn't want lots of players skipping it, but Manny's reason seems sufficient to me.

He might and the Orioles if they were smart and the situation was amenable to it, would be smart to let him.

Your argument is garbage though, he is contractually obligated to play that series, he is not contractually obligated to attend FanFest.

Well, according to the article, "FanFest is the one offseason event that all players under team control are required to attend." So, perhaps he is contractually obligated to attend it. But I wouldn't hold him to that obligation under these circumstances.

Are you sure they are contractually obligated to come? Will take your word for that but curious just how you know that to be true.

Even if he is, I would think this qualifies as an exception in today's day and age. Times and expectations change, in this case for the better. I doubt any team would have an issue with Manny doing this, I doubt the O's would or do. 20 years ago this would have been news, today, it's a non issue.

It was in the article. I guess it is right. I know they have to pick a charity and other things when they sign a contract. I have no problem if he does not attend.

This is my final point on character that we honestly would never know. If the O's had a 3-game series with the Yankees this weekend, would he of asked off to be there for the birth? If he would have, then you got me. If he wouldn't have, then I think it makes my case.

How is a 3-game series with the Yankees at all like FanFest? Those two things could not be more different.

I agree completely.

Fanfest is important.

Nobody cares about a stupid 3-game series with the Yankees.

I really don't have a problem with it. I just think it is probably helicopter uncling and absolutely because he was renewed in his contract and not paid a million or so.

Kinda harsh there with a lot of speculation and assumptions don't ya think Weams?

You might well be right but your making some huge leaps there.

Is it not just as likely that his sister has had a tough pregnancy or high risk one? Maybe she just wants him there and it was her that asked him to be there.

I would much rather believe that this is more a case of what I described than what you did. Till I hear otherwise, I am not going to assume that Manny is being a petulant child about his contract and rather this is a case of man doing what a man is supposed to do and be there for his family.

He might and the Orioles if they were smart and the situation was amenable to it, would be smart to let him.

Your argument is garbage though, he is contractually obligated to play that series, he is not contractually obligated to attend FanFest.

You guys are just taking this as "Machado is a Saint" because he wants to be with his family. My point all along was he didn't want to do fanfest and when choosing between fanfest and the delivery it was an easy choice. I may be way off but jeez, I can't believe nobody can see that as a viable possibility.

You guys are just taking this as "Machado is a Saint" because he wants to be with his family. My point all along was he didn't want to do fanfest and when choosing between fanfest and the delivery it was an easy choice. I may be way off but jeez, I can't believe nobody can see that as a viable possibility.

I suspect Manny is just ducking Fanfest, but you made a lousy argument about how Manny owed it to The Man to be there.

Better excuse then Bryce had last year.

NatsFest is the annual winter event meant to drum up excitement for the upcoming season. Fans buy tickets to see their favorite players and receive autographs. But this Saturday’s event featured one notable absence: Bryce Harper, arguably the most visible public face of the team.

The event, however, came at an unfortunate time. Harper and the Nationals are scheduled for an arbitration grievance hearing on Tuesday in New York. Three days before that potential hearing, Harper did not come to NatsFest at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and General Manager Mike Rizzo took issue with that.

“We’re disappointed he’s not here,” Rizzo said,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2014/12/13/mike-rizzo-disappointed-bryce-harper-chose-not-to-attend-natsfest/

Kinda harsh there with a lot of speculation and assumptions don't ya think Weams?

You might well be right but your making some huge leaps there.

Is it not just as likely that his sister has had a tough pregnancy or high risk one? Maybe she just wants him there and it was her that asked him to be there.

I would much rather believe that this is more a case of what I described than what you did. Till I hear otherwise, I am not going to assume that Manny is being a petulant child about his contract and rather this is a case of man doing what a man is supposed to do and be there for his family.

Who knows. I can have those thoughts as much as anyone else can have the thoughts that being there for the birth of a niece or a nephew is paramount. I guess the world has passed me by. It did not used to be like that when folks had jobs. I was appreciative that my employer allowed me some time off to sit with my mother as she was dying.

I don't think that anyone is calling and/or treating Machado like a saint.

At most, the Orioles organization and/or some of the OH posters are kissing the butt of a superstar a little bit, and treating him with kid gloves.

Manny got plenty of flak on these boards for his bat-throwing incident against the Athletics.

If the kid does get born on the 10th and the Orioles try to get him here and back quickly,then I would be disappointed he did not attend.

Adam Jones had to make a special trip with his jet to get him to the last fanfest he attended.

Better excuse then Bryce had last year.

NatsFest is the annual winter event meant to drum up excitement for the upcoming season. Fans buy tickets to see their favorite players and receive autographs. But this Saturday’s event featured one notable absence: Bryce Harper, arguably the most visible public face of the team.

The event, however, came at an unfortunate time. Harper and the Nationals are scheduled for an arbitration grievance hearing on Tuesday in New York. Three days before that potential hearing, Harper did not come to NatsFest at the Walter E. Washington Convention Center and General Manager Mike Rizzo took issue with that.

“We’re disappointed he’s not here,” Rizzo said,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2014/12/13/mike-rizzo-disappointed-bryce-harper-chose-not-to-attend-natsfest/

I've seen a lot of that type of behavior with the young, underpaid, superstars.

Archived