Kazmir v. Gallardo

orioles4lyfe

Kazmir or Gallardo  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Kazmir or Gallardo

• Kazmir 6.1 WAR last 3 years, Lefty
    • Gallardo 7.1 WAR last 3 Years, Cost Pick #14

With the Dodgers seemingly done shopping for pitching, I wonder if that brings Chen's price down? Seems like all the high-payroll teams are about done acquiring arms, aren't they?

As to the opt-out, it seems like a tolerable risk for the Dodgers. And I don't see why this would be addressed in the CBA. Nobody is forcing these teams to give opt-out clauses, just like nobody forces players to agree to a team option.

I don't know why they would, but it's been written that the Nationals may get a starter. Getting Chen and then moving Gio gonzalez may be something they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kazmir already has multiple three-year offers with guarantees in the range of $12MM to $13MM annually, per the report

I think I'd prefer Leake at 6/90 than Kazmir at 4/50.
Make the option vesting and you got it. 4 for $50 mil.
This is just an uneducated stupid post. I understand not wanting to give Kazmir 4 years but geez....I'd rather give Kazmir 4/48 than give up 3/45 for Gallardo and the pick....essentially you'd be getting the 4th year for 3 million and not giving up our first rounder.

Kazmir blew all these salary assumptions out of the water, 3/$48 mm plus an opt-out that makes the deal worth more. It will be interesting to see what Gallardo gets by comparison. I wonder if the vote would still be 56-5 based on the deals each gets, versus what people were assuming in the poll.

Kazmir blew all these salary assumptions out of the water, 3/$48 mm plus an opt-out that makes the deal worth more. It will be interesting to see what Gallardo gets by comparison. I wonder if the vote would still be 56-5 based on the deals each gets, versus what people were assuming in the poll.

Is it fair to view Kazmir's deal as 3/48 when half of it is paid in years 4-6? I really don't know how to view these things when it's basically a 1/16 deal (paid over 2 years) with a downside gamble that he fails in 12 months and your stuck paying 40M over 5 years and hope he has a bounce back over 2 seasons.

These contracts are hard to compare to previous years.

None of the starting pitchers left on the FA market are worth giving up the 14th pick. I would focus on a bounce-back candidate like Latos or Fister, or perhaps both.

THe #14 pick is a bigger risk of panning out to become a 4 year major league player than signing Kazmir. It's financially cheaper, but you could invest a couple of million in salary and get zero major league return. With Kazmir, there's a risk he won't be a plus player, but you are pretty sure he'll be better than the worst starting pitcher on the staff. He'll improve the team, now. Not a risky #14 pick down the road

Not saying Kazmir is who I'd sign, but he is an improvement to the team

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

THe #14 pick is a bigger risk of panning out to become a 4 year major league player than signing Kazmir. It's financially cheaper, but you could invest a couple of million in salary and get zero major league return. With Kazmir, there's a risk he won't be a plus player, but you are pretty sure he'll be better than the worst starting pitcher on the staff. He'll improve the team, now. Not a risky #14 pick down the road

What does Kazmir have to do with the #14 pick?

Kazmir didn't cost a pick. Gallardo and Kennedy do. Do you want them?

I agree, Kazmir would have been a good target. I'm disappointed we didn't get him.

At this point, I want Latos on a 1 year deal.

Kazmir didn't cost a pick. Gallardo and Kennedy do. Do you want them?

I agree, Kazmir would have been a good target. I'm disappointed we didn't get him.

At this point, I want Latos on a 1 year deal.

Latos on a 1 year and Chen. 4/80 would be ideal, 5/90 acceptable.

I would have wanted to sign Kazmir, if he had not required the 50 million dollar guarantee and one year opt out. Instead of a pick. Which he did not cost.

I think we should have been on Henderson Alvarez more aggressively. Same with Bud Norris on a one-year deal.

Who's left of quality that doesn't require a pick?

I think Chen will be over $100m.

Why? I was happy to see him sign with Oakland. Mediocre numbers, at best, in the NL and doesn't srike out anybody.

Disappointing that it only took a 3 year deal to sign Kazmir. But it has lots of player friendly incentives. Also, it's for an NL team.

We probably would have had to offer 10-15% more than LA with the same incentives, etc, for Kazmir to even consider signing up for our hitter-friendly ballpark.

Archived