MlbTraderumors: Orioles Notes

weams

No chance? That seems like a pretty extreme thing to say. Yeah he's three years older and had a bad season in 2015, but he has generally been a steady pitcher and one of the most durable pitchers in the game, both in terms of making starts (33+ the last 8 years) and staying deep into games. There's certainly a chance he returns to form this year. His K rate was very good (9.6) and unlike Gallardo's hasn't been dropping. He had a very bad year compared to his usual in BB/9 but was only a little higher than Gallardo (3.6 to 3.3) and certainly could revert to form and be under Gallardo there. He also had a very bad HR/FB rate, and with better luck will keep the ball in the park more (though there is Petco/OPACY to consider). I'd say there's a substantial chance Shields will be better than Gallardo going forward. But he's also way more expensive and certainly not a sure thing to do better than Gallardo.

Ok. There is a chance. You convinced me.

I've heard several sources talk about how construction and weather changes near Petco influenced the HR rate.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/may/18/petco-park-early-season-home-runs-padres/

Last year Petco was #10 overall in homeruns allowed, in previous years they were 24th,17th and 28th respectively.

A number of Padres pitchers saw their HR rates increase in 2015 (Despaigne, Shields, Kennedy, Cashner). Possible there's some new behavior at that park, since it'd be strange to see general regressions from so many separate players.

At least they don't charge for it, unlike ESPN "Insider."

I thought that's precisely what MLBTR does -- collect info from guys like Kubatko and put it on a website. I'm expecting them to quote him heavily.

Though I must say, I've not seen any pitchers improving after age 33 lately.

More evidence that there isn't as much PED abuse these days.

From weams' quoted

"discounted price since San Diego would obviously have to eat a healthy chunk of the $86MM owed to Kemp through the 2019 season (the Dodgers are also paying $14MM of that total)."

Dodger money makes it 4/72. If San Diego throws in more we could have Kemp for $15 million a year. Our defense would suffer a lot tho.

Archived