Rob Manfred: Fours work better than Fives for scheduling

weams

I am apparently in the minority here but I like baseball at 30 teams. I am truly taken aback at the comments in this discussion and the complete disregard for the history of this great game.

Do away with the American and National League? The Great Lakes Division? Scramble all would be 32 teams based on geography alone without regard for rivalries?

I think 4 team divisions work for the NFL but I don't think it will be good for baseball. Remember this is a 162 game schedule not 16. System now is good. Earn your division and beat out 4 other teams or have a shot at the Wild Card where you get a one game crack at it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The distance between Dallas and Houston is about the same as the distance between Washington and New York. So you should be able to put two teams between those cities just like there are in Baltimore and Philadelphia.

Yes! The Huntsville team could be called the prisoners! Or the ole sparkies! You guys will enjoy the prison museum tour when you come down to see the Orioles play.

Guys, guys. You guys need to learn some geography and demographics before you start investing in expansion franchises.

I am apparently in the minority here but I like baseball at 30 teams. I am truly taken aback at the comments in this discussion and the complete disregard for the history of this great game.

Do away with the American and National League? The Great Lakes Division? Scramble all would be 32 teams based on geography alone without regard for rivalries?

I think 4 team divisions work for the NFL but I don't think it will be good for baseball. Remember this is a 162 game schedule not 16. System now is good. Earn your division and beat out 4 other teams or have a shot at the Wild Card where you get a one game crack at it.

History? When I first became an Orioles fan there were 18 ML teams, no divisions, no DH. It goes without saying there was no WC1, WC2, ALDS, ALCS and so on.

History to MLB is important insofar as it serves as a framework for lip service. The promo department needs something to work with after all. Expansion is about the bucks.

History? When I first became an Orioles fan there were 18 ML teams, no divisions, no DH. It goes without saying there was no WC1, WC2, ALDS, ALCS and so on.

History to MLB is important insofar as it serves as a framework for lip service. The promo department needs something to work with after all. Expansion is about the bucks.

And what I have read in here that framework would be burned to the ground and it's all good because it gets us out of a tough division.

16 actually. Since we are talking about history here.

How many games will we play though is the question. City wise, Montreal deserves a team, Portland could be good, Vegas is almost a guarantee at this point, and maybe somewhere like Charlotte would be good.

Vegas was a serious thought before the housing bubble burst - then the housing bubble burst.

Move the Rays to Montreal

16 actually. Since we are talking about history here.

18 actually since we're talking about 1961 here.

My original post wasn't really directed at you, more to the notion that expansion is something that's needed right now. Any scheme to do away with the two leagues and further fragment what has already evolved would be a huge mistake IMO. I would much prefer simplifying things to no more than two divisions in each league.

Yes! The Huntsville team could be called the prisoners! Or the ole sparkies! You guys will enjoy the prison museum tour when you come down to see the Orioles play.

Guys, guys. You guys need to learn some geography and demographics before you start investing in expansion franchises.

Please know I wasn't actually suggesting putting teams in the nothingness between Dallas and Houston, just pointing out relative proximity of the cities compared to the East Coast megalopolis.

Gnats and O's in the same division would be intense.

Instead of looking at QO's the MLBPA should push for a more regionalized realignment and expansion. It could result in a whole lot less travel...particularly for the west coast teams...plus more MLB jobs. That type of thing affects more players than the QO does.

Instead of looking at QO's the MLBPA should push for a more regionalized realignment and expansion. It could result in a whole lot less travel...particularly for the west coast teams...plus more MLB jobs. That type of thing affects more players than the QO does.

QO costs players $$$. :noidea:

Archived