The Spring Training Overreaction Thread

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gonzo is absolutely a concern. So is pretty much every other starting pitcher. I expect both Worley and Despaigne to get starts this year; that's the way it usually works with any team, they have to pitch more than five starters.

Do you think Wilson or Wright would get first crack based on both starting some Spring Training games? Also they seemed to have logged longer outings.

Im truly not in panic mode, yet. But Miguel Gonzales has mostly looked awful and with injuries last year I have to wonder of the body is breaking down and his"feel good" reclamation story is slowly crashing to earth. I do remember he started off poorly last year early, and then he settled down. But this year the Orioles can't afford for Gonzo to be bad like Norris was last year because there just isnt the depth in the minors for starters. Im also worried about Wieters. The "no timetable" for return is the kind of phrase we heard when Wieters had the T.J. surgery.Joseph is ok, but again, theres not a lot of options at backup catcher IF Matt isn't available for any reason.

This team is getting banged around every day in ST and very few of their regular hitters have looked good either. If at the end of the week, this team isn't coming out of this funk, I will officially be concerned

Gut feeling will be glad to be dead wrong, BUT IMHO This team don't have enough HR's in it to support this pitching staff.

Do you think Wilson or Wright would get first crack based on both starting some Spring Training games? Also they seemed to have logged longer outings.

Yessir they could - Worley and Despaigne have more MLB experience so I figure they're higher on the pecking order. Plus I think Worley makes the team opening day.

If things really go south you could see all nine make a start. The team started eight pitchers last year.

Yessir they could - Worley and Despaigne have more MLB experience so I figure they're higher on the pecking order. Plus I think Worley makes the team opening day.

If things really go south you could see all nine make a start. The team started eight pitchers last year.

This team is going to run thru starters like we ran thru corner outfielders last year. Love the O's root like he!! for them, but I'll be honest I don't feel very optimistic this year.

Im truly not in panic mode, yet. But Miguel Gonzales has mostly looked awful and with injuries last year I have to wonder of the body is breaking down and his"feel good" reclamation story is slowly crashing to earth. I do remember he started off poorly last year early, and then he settled down. But this year the Orioles can't afford for Gonzo to be bad like Norris was last year because there just isnt the depth in the minors for starters. Im also worried about Wieters. The "no timetable" for return is the kind of phrase we heard when Wieters had the T.J. surgery.Joseph is ok, but again, theres not a lot of options at backup catcher IF Matt isn't available for any reason.

This team is getting banged around every day in ST and very few of their regular hitters have looked good either. If at the end of the week, this team isn't coming out of this funk, I will officially be concerned

I am officially worried and I have been for a week.

Not in panic mode but I am not really liking what I see from the pitching in general.

We may some games with 10 runs or more but unless the pitching straightens up, I think we lose a lot of games like 8-5 or 9-6 etc.....

Lets hope some of these guys can get there game in gear and show some better result as we move forward. I think at least a couple of these guys will do that.

Vance Worley looks great to me. Firm fastball, good command. Not trying to nibble with 88 mph stuff.

]Im truly not in panic mode' date=' yet[/color'][/b]. But Miguel Gonzales has mostly looked awful and with injuries last year I have to wonder of the body is breaking down and his"feel good" reclamation story is slowly crashing to earth. I do remember he started off poorly last year early, and then he settled down. But this year the Orioles can't afford for Gonzo to be bad like Norris was last year because there just isnt the depth in the minors for starters. Im also worried about Wieters. The "no timetable" for return is the kind of phrase we heard when Wieters had the T.J. surgery.Joseph is ok, but again, theres not a lot of options at backup catcher IF Matt isn't available for any reason.

Nope, the posts about being in panic mode usually start around April 7 :D While it's debatable whether we should be concerned or not at this point, you

know Buck must be making plans C-Z right now. Plan B probably starts in a week or two- maybe we'll see things like Vance Worley going three innings, Machado leading off every game, etc... As closer as it gets to the end of ST, the more you have to make a decision and get the players familiarized with their role. No way do you let Gonzales figure it out in April as a starter- he can figure things out just fine from the pine.

Grab on tight, the ride is going to be real crazy the next few weeks!

I usually start paying more attention when the pitchers are making their fourth start of the spring, by which time they are trying to go five innings. By then, a lot of rust has been scraped off and the AA guys are in minor league camp, with really only 40-man roster guys in major league camp with maybe a few exceptions. For the O's, I believe that day arrives this Thursday.

Archived