Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

You think the Rays have 6-8 guys that are better than a guy who can start in the majors on day 1 of the regular season?

Not necessarily, but having slightly different opinions about a guy who might be the O's 25th man doesn't require either team to be incompetent. It wouldn't be the first time a Rule 5 guy stuck and ended up halfway decent.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not necessarily, but having slightly different opinions about a guy who might be the O's 25th man doesn't require either team to be incompetent. It wouldn't be the first time a Rule 5 guy stuck and ended up halfway decent.

From opening day?

DeShields ended up pretty decent last season but I don't see anyone comparing the Rays' position prospects with what the Astros had on tap last season.

From opening day?

DeShields ended up pretty decent last season but I don't see anyone comparing the Rays' position prospects with what the Astros had on tap last season.

Ok, you win. If he slashes .260/.330/.350 from May 1-on the Rays were reasonable. If it's month earlier they're incompetent.

For a manager that stresses TTP so obsessively the team seems to ignore the singles turning into doubles with the corners we have. Average runners do not steal much, but they can take an extra base. Maybe a new acronym, AEB, automatic extra base.

While I think the team's construction is far from ideal, and I would much rather have had Fowler, I think the team is better with Alvarez than without him, so I am fine with this move.

Alvarez: .794 OPS vs. RHP, .601 vs. LHP. Last year, he started only 4 games vs. LHP and 120 vs. RHP.

Trumbo: .731 OPS vs. RHP, .824 vs. LHP. Last year, he started 54 games vs. LHP and 78 vs. RHP.

I think that's a good indication of how the Orioles will use them. Alvarez will play almost every game that a RHP starts, and won't play vs. LH starters. Trumbo will play almost every game that a LHP starts, and will play vs. RH starters maybe 70% of the time. Each will get some pinch hitting opportunities in the games they don't start.

So yeah, we're going to see Trumbo in the OF in about half the games, when both he and Alvarez are in the lineup vs. RHP. In the other half, he'll either be at DH or on the bench. I suppose it is possible Davis will get some OF time if Trumbo is really bad out there.

It's not perfect, but Alvarez does add to our lineup so long as we keep him away from LHP for the most part. Look for Reimold to get a lot of PH opportunities when a lefty reliever is on the hill.

Then I don't get it. Rickard should be in everyday, as should Kim. This signing truly perplexes me

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

I like your posts sir but come on. I have been hard on Kim because based on what I have seen thus far, the Orioles scouts failed us. I could be wrong, we will see.

Rickard has looked good, but based on your logic, too small a sample size.

So which is it?

Rickard looks to be making the team at this point if he can back up CF. I think the Orioles either convince Kim to go to AAA or bye bye little birdie.

Be fun to see how it all plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I think the team's construction is far from ideal, and I would much rather have had Fowler, I think the team is better with Alvarez than without him, so I am fine with this move.

Alvarez: .794 OPS vs. RHP, .601 vs. LHP. Last year, he started only 4 games vs. LHP and 120 vs. RHP.

Trumbo: .731 OPS vs. RHP, .824 vs. LHP. Last year, he started 54 games vs. LHP and 78 vs. RHP.

I think that's a good indication of how the Orioles will use them. Alvarez will play almost every game that a RHP starts, and won't play vs. LH starters. Trumbo will play almost every game that a LHP starts, and will play vs. RH starters maybe 70% of the time. Each will get some pinch hitting opportunities in the games they don't start.

So yeah, we're going to see Trumbo in the OF in about half the games, when both he and Alvarez are in the lineup vs. RHP. In the other half, he'll either be at DH or on the bench. I suppose it is possible Davis will get some OF time if Trumbo is really bad out there.

It's not perfect, but Alvarez does add to our lineup so long as we keep him away from LHP for the most part. Look for Reimold to get a lot of PH opportunities when a lefty reliever is on the hill.

Agreed 100%. I also think that, barring injuries, this puts Rickard and Reimold as the final 2 bench spots (with Paredes as a long shot).

I am feeling like this season is going to look very ugly defensively. Jones is going to run himself ragged in the outfield. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think I'd rather have Steve Pearce (and 4M in salary) back in RF than what we've got now.

I liked Pearce, but Alvarez gives us more left-handed power. It gives Buck the ability to alternate lefty and righty batters throughout the lineup, which he obviously prefers. Hypothetically, the choice would have been between Pearce and Reimold.

Agreed 100%. I also think that, barring injuries, this puts Rickard and Reimold as the final 2 bench spots (with Paredes as a long shot).

Reimold and injury. Enough said.

I think Buck likes the Alvarez gun if Reimold goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we pay 9 million for Trumbo

and 6 million for Alvarez

and they are sort of platoon guys who can't play defense

Meanwhile, Milwaukee signs Chris Carter for 2.5 million. Milwaukee who will also have Zach Davies

and Josh Hader in their rotation by the all star break

We spend 22 million on an injured Gallardo

Man I'm glad DD doesn't have my credit card

A bunch of bandaids on a pig of a team, and next year we'll get the plus defenders,

high OBP, and starting pitching that we didn't get again this year.

Archived