Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

Some of those balls he hit in Pittsburgh in that video were wild. Big time power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just watched the video. I know he's got his warts (Ks, defense, etc.), but man oh man, he took a high fastball on the outer inch of the plate to RIGHT-center OUT of the park.. crazy power there.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rickard shouldn't be an everyday player. Everyday players don't get left available in the Rule 5 draft. He is 4th or 5th OFer.

One guy made it to everyday during his rule five season. Well. Maybe two. Of all of them.

Just watched the video. I know he's got his warts (Ks, defense, etc.), but man oh man, he took a high fastball on the outer inch of the plate to RIGHT-center OUT of the park.. crazy power there.

He is not really even that high of a K guy. And his OBP against right handers is reasonable.

The Orioles are incompetent. So they brought in another guy that other teams didn't want. Terrific. They spent over $200 million this offseason and didn't get any better. The team collectively struck out too much and had poor plate discipline BEFORE they brought in Trumbo and Alvarez. The middle of the order will now include Jones, Davis, Trumbo and Alvarez. That's just fantastic. The middle of the order still doesn't include Manny, who is their best hitter, which is also STUPID

The front office completely screwed up the last 4 years by not taking advantage of the core of the team being on cheap contracts. I can't do it anymore. I'll casually watch and I'll go to games for free since my company has a skybox but otherwise it's too disappointing.

Certainly agree. Hope we can make up for some of that with our bullpen, but who knows. Lotta souvenirs on Eutaw Street, if nothing else.

and a 4th place finish

I can't remember an offseason where I've laughed as much as this one.

There has to be a part for Bill Murray somewhere in this movie.

lol yup

Platoon Splits

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+

vs RHP 141 426 375 52 90 17 0 24 68 2 0 45 111 .240 .322 .477 .799 179 6 2 0 4 9 2 .270 103 119

He is not really even that high of a K guy. And his OBP against right handers is reasonable.

Very true. This was a signing I wanted to see happen, although at around 4 mil, but- hey- not my money.

Assuming a full season of health, some of those doubles or warning track outs become HRs.

What a weird offseason. Very different than basically every poster's expectation. And it looks like it will be a very weird team. Hopefully they are on the winning side of 9-7 games more than the losing side. Camden Yards is likely to be the highest scoring ball park in the majors this year. Does Vegas take bets like that?

The Orioles are incompetent. So they brought in another guy that other teams didn't want. Terrific. They spent over $200 million this offseason and didn't get any better. The team collectively struck out too much and had poor plate discipline BEFORE they brought in Trumbo and Alvarez. The middle of the order will now include Jones, Davis, Trumbo and Alvarez. That's just fantastic. The middle of the order still doesn't include Manny, who is their best hitter, which is also STUPID

The front office completely screwed up the last 4 years by not taking advantage of the core of the team being on cheap contracts. I can't do it anymore. I'll casually watch and I'll go to games for free since my company has a skybox but otherwise it's too disappointing.

The Book says, you put your best batter 2nd. Manny, according to your middle of the lineup projection can still bat there.. here's hoping Kim and Reimold get on base enough to base 1.. probably Manny batting 1, which I don't like. I like him at 2.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oIsMe_V_fDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Target

He seems to hit a lot of opposite field HRs. I like this.. means he's not so pull crazy and doesn't minding using the whole field (at least from the highlights I've seen).

I can't remember an offseason where I've laughed as much as this one.

There has to be a part for Bill Murray somewhere in this movie.

I cd see him as a character who gets a kick out of stealing home run catches from kids on the standing-room plaza (while holding a beer).

He seems to hit a lot of opposite field HRs. I like this.. means he's not so pull crazy and doesn't minding using the whole field (at least from the highlights I've seen).

He's actually a good hitter. The hope is that he can relax now that he does not have such a defensive burden and just use his Prince Fielder body.

Archived