Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not a complete believer in the advanced defensive metrics, particularly when it comes to outfielders. I have said more than once that in about 10 years, when all the new data that has been collected has been analyzed and digested, people will look at today's advanced metrics about the same way we now view blood leeching as an advanced medical technique. (OK, maybe that's a slight exaggeration.)

Taking a quote from Fangraphs "Defensive statistics should not be taken as 100% accurate, just like anything. There are plenty of reasons why they might not be telling you a complete story"

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/defense/uzr/

The Book says, you put your best batter 2nd. Manny, according to your middle of the lineup projection can still bat there.. here's hoping Kim and Reimold get on base enough to base 1.. probably Manny batting 1, which I don't like. I like him at 2.

Machado batting 2nd is A LOT better than him batting 1st, but with that being said I don't care what the book says. Bryce Harper didn't bat 2nd a single time last season.

A competent team wouldn't have their best hitter batting 1st. Who do you want up with the game on the line?

Machado batting 2nd is A LOT better than him batting 1st, but with that being said I don't care what the book says. Bryce Harper didn't bat 2nd a single time last season.

A competent team wouldn't have their best hitter batting 1st. Who do you want up with the game on the line?

How do you know which spot in the batting order is going to be up when the game is on the line?

Does anyone realize that the 2-6 hitters in the lineup are going to be a black hole? The starting pitching is not good enough to carry the team while the middle of the order is slumping and striking out. This is so disappointing

Learn how to:

1. Tender contracts to ALL of your arb eligible players, even the very expensive LOOGY who can only be used in low leverage games

2. Make a splash signing a DH to 3.5 x the going rate

3. Don't forget to waste 7 million on a KBO player

4. Sign your own guys, even when no one is bidding for them and pay top dollar to make the players understand that you want to win

5. Most important learn to have supreme patience to wait out the market and sign those March free agents ... that I guess no one else in baseball wanted

Hahaha...be careful, you might hurt some feelings on this board

How do you know which spot in the batting order is going to be up when the game is on the line?

On this point, you actually only guarantee who is coming up in the first inning, which in theory is when the game would be the least on the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone realize that the 2-6 hitters in the lineup are going to be a black hole? The starting pitching is not good enough to carry the team while the middle of the order is slumping and striking out. This is so disappointing

What? Jones, Davis, Trumbo etc. are a black hole? That makes no sense.

Wow another one coming out of the wood work.

Sorry to disappoint you but I have better things to do than spend a lot of time on an Orioles message board in the offseason. Or in the regular season for that matter

That wasn't the point. Why didn't Bryce Harper bat 1st last year? Why didn't he bat 2nd?

On this point, you actually only guarantee who is coming up in the first inning, which in theory is when the game would be the least on the line.

Do you want Machado hitting behind Chris Davis or whoever is batting 9th?

What? Jones, Davis, Trumbo etc no sense.

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Machado lead off the game 111 times, he totaled 256 times at leading off an inning. Subtract the 111 from the 256 and you get 145 PA's from Machado leading off an inning other than the first inning.

Chris Davis had more , other than the start of game, lead-offs in an inning than did Machado with 168. He also totaled a better OBP than did Machado in the role of Leading Off an Inning

Didn't Harper's manager get fired?

Nats dominated the league en route to a WS title last year. Matt Williams received manager of he year honors, mainly for how he managed Harpers positioning in the lineup for most of the year. We should be emulating everything they do 100%

That wasn't the point. Why didn't Bryce Harper bat 1st last year? Why didn't he bat 2nd?

Do you want Machado hitting behind Chris Davis or whoever is batting 9th?

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Mixed with a few of these: home run home run and home run home run home run.

Archived