Slugger Pedro Alvarez Signs w Orioles (1 yr: 5.75 + 1.5 potential bonuses) OFFICIAL

Birds08

Wow another one coming out of the wood work.

It's comments like these that keep me from posting on (and ATTN TONY, for paying for) this site (ok, forget the fact that it actually got me mad enough to reply :))

Why is my, or Herman's, opinion any less valuable because we have fewer posts than Tx Oriole?

As far as the Alvarez signing.....things didn't work out the way the O's wanted this offseason. Things didn't go the way I wanted this offseason (as much as I like Davis, I think the money could have been spent better -- possibly making the Alvarez signing more need based)

But, hey, they're my O's and my kids and I will root for them til the end.

As much as I want to win now, if things don't work out this year, they have some pieces to trade and some $ to spend next year.

• Replies 499
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's comments like these that keep me from posting on (and ATTN TONY, for paying for) this site (ok, forget the fact that it actually got me mad enough to reply :))

Why is my, or Herman's, opinion any less valuable because we have fewer posts than Tx Oriole?

I don't know why you think TxOriole's comment had anything to do with the number of posts Herman has made. I think it had more to do with the fact that 99% of Herman's posts are negative and probably 75% place undue emphasis on strikeouts as though that's the only thing that matters in judging an offense. That said, I certainly think some of the negative things he says are warranted.

I'm disappointed to see that you think your opinions won't be taken seriously because you have only posted a few times. We have many great posters who post relatively infrequently, and everyone here was a new poster once upon a time. I'd certainly like to read more of your opinions.

And yet his OBP projections are all but indistinguishable from Rickard's.

Right. The issue here shouldn't really be his OBP. Granted, it isn't high, but given current OBP throughout MLB, it isn't staggeringly low either. He does walk ... a lot. The issue is that so many of his outs are strikeouts. Many believe that strikeouts are no worse than other outs. I am not one of those. I do not like strikeouts because they are the only play in baseball with One True bad outcome.

That said, I'm really glad we can plug this guy in against RH pitching with the short RF porches in the AL East. We will mash. We will contend for most runs scored in baseball this season and for the HR title. Count me in as very happy with this signing.

As much as I want to win now, if things don't work out this year, they have some pieces to trade and some $ to spend next year.

I, personally, am still quite positive about the upcoming season. However, I think the point you made at the end here is quite valid. The Orioles, if things do go poorly, have some pieces that could be moveable for some minor league talent this year or next and quite a few contracts coming off the books in two or three years to free up money. Yes, they believe they have a window and are trying to win, but other than Davis, they don't really have contracts that could be albatross contracts in the worst case scenrios. Hopefully, they win in the window, but if they don't, you can kind off see how a rebuild could come together.

I learned some about him from Big Data Baseball, the Pirates Moneyball-type book - specifically what an amazing fastball hitter he is.

Last year at his 450 PA threshold, he was last in FB% seen of 179 guys.

In 2014 at his 400 PA level, he was 208th of 209. This is no accident.

So to Gammons's point, I am not worried about the Boxberger, Storen, Kimbrel types - it's the Matuszes he's helpless against.

Really nice data. Thanks. We should see Buck's response to data this anomolous in the way he handles Pedro late in the games against LH pitching.

This means Trumbo or Davis will be the right fielder as Alvarez should not be allowed to have a glove.

We're going to hit some home runs and honestly, I'm ok with that considering the other options. We needed more OBP but if not, might as well have another guy who can hit 30 bombs if all goes right.

I don't think we're talking about needing a whole lot to go right for Pedro to hit 30 dingers playing at Camden Yards. Personally, I'll be surprised if he doesn't hit 30. Ditto Trumbo. I think we've surreptitiously picked up 60 home runs.

I doubt it would happen, but it might be crazy like a fox to bat him leadoff vs. RHP. The hoped for gain would be to get his 3rd PA vs. the righty starter by batter faced #19. With teams growing more sensitive to the times through the order penalty, putting him in the lower half of the lineup probably limits your upside to 2 PA/game, and a certain LOOGY in the 6th.

At least at leadoff, it dares the opposing manager to remove his starter in the 5th, or even 4th on a good night.

I love this idea.

As far as the Alvarez signing.....things didn't work out the way the O's wanted this offseason. Things didn't go the way I wanted this offseason (as much as I like Davis, I think the money could have been spent better -- possibly making the Alvarez signing more need based)

Please PM if you are plus member so I can address. Thanks.

I've been here forever so I'm sure I'm biased, but I think (hope?) content matters a lot more than tenure. Herman gets flack because he's reflexively negative and appears to get great joy from posting things as facts that appear to have little verifiable justification. I think reasonable, rational people are welcomed here with open arms.

I've been here forever so I'm sure I'm biased, but I think (hope?) content matters a lot more than tenure. Herman gets flack because he's reflexively negative and appears to get great joy from posting things as facts that appear to have little verifiable justification. I think reasonable, rational people are welcomed here with open arms.

I would agree with this. I am a relatively newer member and have never felt ostracized for having a lower post count since joining. I've certainly had disagreements with posters, but I never felt belittled due to my join date and if it's ever been aggressive it was solely based on the content of our posts.

The poster in question is seemingly, as Drungo points out, reflexively negative and brings almost zero justification for his posts. Further, he is the type to be in a game thread and announce every strikeout by the O's as an indictment on their ability as ball players, but go conspicuously absent once the O's take the lead on a long bomb. He has an agenda which is quite transparent.

When is P.Alvarez going to take his physical? He needs to get in shape for the season. Is there a waiting process for before he takes his physical.

I do believe that his agent has a place for these players that are unsigned to stay in shape. I also believe that other than a few wind sprints and ball tracking with extensive BP, Alvarez may take all of three days to be placed into a DH role. The glove may take a reborn apparition.

When is P.Alvarez going to take his physical? He needs to get in shape for the season. Is there a waiting process for before he takes his physical.

Scheduled for today. Announcement likely tomorrow according to Ghiroli.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived