HUGE start for Tyler Wilson today.

Rene88

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great quotes from Tyler in Roch's blog today.

Wilson is an intelligent young man who can break down an at-bat in impressive fashion. Ask him about any particular point in a game and you quickly are reminded that he's a pitcher, not just a thrower.

A classic example of Wilson's analytical mind came yesterday when a member of the media asked him what happened on Chris Stewart's comebacker in the second inning. Wilson went on to describe the pitch - where he intended it, where it finished - and how Stewart's swing told him that the ball was headed back up the middle.

Meanwhile, we merely wanted to know where it hit him.

During John Jaso's second at-bat yesterday, Wilson started him off with a changeup and breaking ball and retired the Pirates' leadoff hitter on a ground ball to shortstop J.J. Hardy.

"That's a sequence that you don't see a lot," Wilson said. "He's definitely a fastball guy who looks for the ball in the middle of the plate, toward the inner-half of the plate. I threw him a good changeup to start 0-0 and it looked like his feet were still fastball, so I started to throw a slider that looked like a heater in, and it kind of broke off the plate and we got the result we were looking for."

A pitcher, not a thrower.

IMO, the fact that he was pulled early basically indicates he has made the team as a SP. Great news for the kid, and for our rotation. He won't be an ace, but at least his pitches are going where he intends them to go. I think he could put up solid #4-type numbers on a squad that desperately needs that.

I asked Frobby yesterday a follow up to his question about Wilson not having a lot of innings. I posted that he was in the top 10 with only Worley and Gonzo with more innings in our starting staff (or possibly).

I think a negative is that he faced a "B" lineup yesterday, but not sure his lack of innings mean anything. In fact, in comparison he has had MORE innings that the rest of our staff this spring.

So what happens is anyone's guess, but for me, watching baseball and using common sense, he is our best option. Worley is not very good, but throws the ball over the plate; at least Tyler Wilson has legitimate upside.

He has not gone over 3 1/3 innings in any start. He has one more outing. The Orioles bullpen might be pretty busy in the first few weeks. Gonzo not sure about. Ti;;man needs some more innings as does Gallardo. Gausman will also be a little behind. Niese,who pitched against the Orioles went six innings yesterday. Wilson has gone barely over three.

IMO, the fact that he was pulled early basically indicates he has made the team as a SP. Great news for the kid, and for our rotation. He won't be an ace, but at least his pitches are going where he intends them to go. I think he could put up solid #4-type numbers on a squad that desperately needs that.

How does that possibly make sense? He needs to be stretched out to five plus innings. ???

Roch as said:

What does that have to do with the contention that pulling Wilson early confirms that he is in the starting rotation? Yes, I can believe that he is under consideration, but pulling him early was a weird move if the O's expect him to be in the starting rotation. Wilson seemed very surprised to get pulled that early. It definitely does not confirm that the O's expect him in the starting rotation.

What does that have to do with the contention that pulling Wilson early confirms that he is in the starting rotation? Yes, I can believe that he is under consideration, but pulling him early was a weird move if the O's expect him to be in the starting rotation. Wilson seemed very surprised to get pulled that early. It definitely does not confirm that the O's expect him in the starting rotation.

I think he is still in the running, despite what all the backseats managers in OH believe. :)

I don't get your logic. The typical pattern is to try to get the starters up to 90 pitches in their second-to-last start, then ramp them back down to 70ish in their final start so they'll be fresh their first time out during the season. I don't see how pulling Wilson after three innings accomplishes that goal. Take a look at how many innings the other starters threw in their last outing -- all of them were 4+.

That said, Buck's comments yesterday certainly suggest Wilson is still under consideration as a starter. I just don't think Wilson being pulled after 3 innings is an indication of that, at all.

See my embedded tweet. I think it's a possibility they are lining him up and switching around his throw days.

That's a possibility I hadn't considered until seeing that tweet from Meoli. We'll see. Wilson certainly deserves consideration.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tyler Wilson done after 3 IP: 2 H, 1 ER, 1 HR. 43p/30s. Wonder if they're keeping him short to move throw day next week when rotation set.</p>? Jon Meoli (@JonMeoli) <a href="
">March 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yep. It isn't that Tyler Wilson is our savior. It is that there is nobody else, LOL. Who else could it be? Worley is terrible. I would probably keep him because our depth is so terrible, but let's not kid ourselves that he is a solution.

I just added this into my last post, but Wilson was told before the start they were keeping him short. So if he's being told that, there's some kind of plan in place. They didn't yank him just to yank him. It also means they didn't yank him because he got hit with the comebacker.

Nailed it. It has to be Wilson UNLESS there is a trade in the works and that person is on some schedule...and that is a lot of IFS.

Edit: Do you see that list I posted, Bundy has a good amount of innings. It's possible. I am still not getting emotionally attached to him though. He would be on a very short outing.

I just added this into my last post, but Wilson was told before the start they were keeping him short. So if he's being told that, there's some kind of plan in place. They didn't yank him just to yank him. It also means they didn't yank him because he got hit with the comebacker.

Roch has this from Buck:

Showalter shortened up Wilson because he was using Britton and O'Day in back-to-back outings and "we had mapped out three there, two there."

Archived