Janish will be missed if he opts out (He stayed)

wildcard

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Steve Tolleson is around and serviceable.

Agree that I like Janish, and his glove is fantastic, but we shouldn't be doing gymnastics to try to keep him.

Agree, and if he does get a Major League deal, then good for him.

If not, AAA for the team, helps their depth and next man up program.

Ozzie Martinez. Buck loves him. Options remaining.

Buck loves that Ozzie provides good defense for the minor league pitchers. I am not sure he trusts him to backup the infield in the majors.

Not saying you are wrong. I just don't know.

Buck loves that Ozzie provides good defense for the minor league pitchers. I am not sure he trusts him to backup the infield in the majors.

Not saying you are wrong. I just don't know.

Which is why Janish is important to this team for depth, since he is a proven plus defender at SS at the major league level.

If it's a long term injury then I move Machado there. Yeah you'll take a hit at 3B defense with whoever goes there, but there's still a better chance you have someone who can hit their way out of a wet paper bag. The deficiencies in Janish's bat is just too much for me. He should never get more than 5 at bats a week, period. And if he gets more than 20 in a month you're doing something wrong with your roster.

No, you don't move Manny unless you plan on keeping him there for the next 10 years. He's your future GG SS and AS at 3B. Might as well say you'll rotate Manny and Schoop (he needs a nickname like Scoop) between SS & 2B.

Given the mileage on Hardy and some prior injuries, you plan way ahead to have a more than serviceable utility man capable of backing up SS on a long term basis. You don't need to plan to replace Hardy's offense, but you do need to replace his defense.

Which leads to a scouting and development problem in baseball generally and the Orioles specifically. Starters on this team (and many teams) can't be relied upon to go 7 innings anymore. With the Orioles the problem is they don't have a starter you can say will complete 6 innings on 80% of their starts. It used to be that your 4th and 5th starters couldn't go 7 and 6 innings respectively. Now, teams such as us, it's difficult to see our #2 & 3 give us 210 innings.

Janish isn't the last player on the bench, or someone like him, if you had 4 realiable starters who could go 840 innings in a year.

Roch:

Janish has had a good spring. His line is 293/375/390/765. He is also a excellent infielder. At 33, he probably belong on someone's bench in the majors. He played at Norfolk last year and was called up to help out when Hardy was injured.

Rosa is having a good spring and Ozzie Martinez will be in the minors as back up. But Janish is a grade above them at this point. I would love to see him stay but understand if he can find a spot in the majors he has to take it.

Ask me again when Hardy's back gives out. ;)

No, you don't move Manny unless you plan on keeping him there for the next 10 years. He's your future GG SS and AS at 3B. Might as well say you'll rotate Manny and Schoop (he needs a nickname like Scoop) between SS & 2B.

Given the mileage on Hardy and some prior injuries, you plan way ahead to have a more than serviceable utility man capable of backing up SS on a long term basis. You don't need to plan to replace Hardy's offense, but you do need to replace his defense.

Which leads to a scouting and development problem in baseball generally and the Orioles specifically. Starters on this team (and many teams) can't be relied upon to go 7 innings anymore. With the Orioles the problem is they don't have a starter you can say will complete 6 innings on 80% of their starts. It used to be that your 4th and 5th starters couldn't go 7 and 6 innings respectively. Now, teams such as us, it's difficult to see our #2 & 3 give us 210 innings.

Janish isn't the last player on the bench, or someone like him, if you had 4 realiable starters who could go 840 innings in a year.

In 2015, across all of MLB, only 28 pitchers passed the 200 innings pitched mark (less than one per team) and only 14 passed the 210 inning mark. That's hardly an Oriole-specific issue.

In 2015, across all of MLB, only 28 pitchers passed the 200 innings pitched mark (less than one per team) and only 14 passed the 210 inning mark. That's hardly an Oriole-specific issue.

We still get the occasional "the O's have to find some starters who can get us through the 7th or 8th or they'll never win anything!" Kershaw and Keuchel were the only pitchers in MLB in 2015 who averaged 7 innings a start in 20+ starts, and juuuusssst barely.

Archived