4 O's players that have played well enough to stick but will not....

wildcard

For various reasons:

1. Tyler Wilson - Pitched better than any of the other O's starters but will probably go to Norfolk. Has options.

2. Oliver Drake - has yet to allow a run this spring. But the O's have out of option guys like Worley, Roe and Phillips that probably keep him in Norfolk for contract reasons. Has option.

3. Paul Janish - a good utility guy who had a good spring with the bat as well as the glove. He is behind Flaherty on a minor league contract. He could opt out.

4. Xavier Avery - had a nice spring with the bat, is lefthanded which the O's need, and he is a good glove man with lots of range. On minor league contract. O's will probably keep him at AAA to start the season.

These guys all passed the eye test IMO.. They could help the O's this year if the stick around.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that all 4 have played well enough to stick. I'm not sure that Wilson and Janish won't, at least on the opening day 25 man roster. Somebody has to take Gausman ' s turn (s) if he's not ready, and I don't think Gonzalez is assured of a spot. I will be interested to see if Flaherty gets some innings in the outfield over the next few days which may indicate Janish could stick.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Janish and Avery have enough of a track record to overrule the fact that they hit well for a few weeks this spring.

People can change:)

Son: Dad, I just got a grade job as Program Manager with the government that pays $125k!

Father: sorry son, you got suspended in 11th grade and had a low B average throughout high school. Your track record is mediocre at best.

Sounds like a caste system:)

Jose Batista sucked until he didn't.

Seriously though, I hope we don't lose Janish. I would keep him on the roster somehow if we needed to. Can he play 2b? Haven't seen him there.

Although those players mentioned have had a good spring training to keep them on the Twenty-Five Man roster makes the need for a corresponding 40 Man Move for Janish and Avery. Injuries and poor performance allows for both Drake and Wilson to make the Twenty-Five at some point. Wilson may take Gausman spot and Drake could take Roe or Worley spot. Either way if they are sent on optional assignment it is nice to know they are available at some point.

Janish and Avery have enough of a track record to overrule the fact that they hit well for a few weeks this spring.

Janish, I can agree with but his bat is not what gets him to the majors. Its his glove.

Avery, a 2nd round draft choice, played last year at 25. He has averaged a 344 OBP for the last three years in the high minors. He played over a 100 games per year in those three years and last year had 7 assists and made only 2 errors. He could be a guy that busts through if given a chance. Probably deserves to at be on a major league bench. He has speed and range.

Janish, I can agree with but his bat is not what gets him to the majors. Its his glove.

Avery, a 2nd round draft choice, played last year at 25. He has averaged a 344 OBP for the last three years in the high minors. He played over a 100 games per year in those three years and last year had 7 assists and made only 2 errors. He could be a guy that busts through if given a chance. Probably deserves to at be on a major league bench. He has speed and range.

I agree with you on this one. If they do not keep Kim around, I think the X man makes a lot of sense for this roster. Trumbo, Jones, Reimold, Rickard and Avery.

There are probably guys like Avery in the majors. Some of it is luck and opportunity. I wouldn't go so far as to say he deserves to be in the majors or that he's ready to bust out. He's spent 3 years in AAA and the last two full years in a row. He had a .756 OPS in 2014 and a .725 OPS last year. No signs of a breakout to me. His weak arm limits him to CF and LF as well. For all of his speed, he's an average basestealer with poor numbers last year (19 SB /13 CS). Avery needs to make his own breaks by actually hitting enough in AAA to earn a promotion.

With Walker playing LF at Norfolk and guys like Latimore, Marte, Borbon, and Dariel Alvarez in the mix at Norfolk, I'm skeptical that Avery and/or Hoes will even be in the organization come April.

If you are looking for Avery to have a high OPS you will likely be disappointed. He makes his living with his legs. He is a first or 2nd hitter in the order with a decent OBP (344 in the minors for the last three years). Coming off the bench he is a defensive replacement. The O's could do a lot worse than Avery, Jones and Rickard in the OF in the late innings. That is really 3 CFers to close out a win.

If you are looking for Avery to have a high OPS you will likely be disappointed. He makes his living with his legs. He is a first or 2nd hitter in the order with a decent OBP (344 in the minors for the last three years). Coming off the bench he is a defensive replacement. The O's could do a lot worse than Avery, Jones and Rickard in the OF in the late innings. That is really 3 CFers to close out a win.

Yes, exactly. If Rickard starts then Avery and not Reimold has to be kept, bc he is a defensive replacement.

I did not know that Janish has an opt out. That changes things. We absolutely need him in case JJ get hurt again. If they think Kim is expendable, I would rather have Janish than another mediocre LH OF.

I love Wilson. I want to see him on the 25 man somehow, some way. Maybe they cut Worley or trade Brach or Roe.

Avery still seems like insurance for now but he has had a great spring.

I wouldn't mind giving Wilson a chance to start out of the gate. I think the writing is on the wall with Gonzalez and it matters how much of a leash he is given. With so many questions you might want to shake it up and see if Wilson can continue his spring performance.

People can change:)

Son: Dad, I just got a grade job as Program Manager with the government that pays $125k!

Father: sorry son, you got suspended in 11th grade and had a low B average throughout high school. Your track record is mediocre at best.

Sounds like a caste system:)

Jose Batista sucked until he didn't.

Seriously though, I hope we don't lose Janish. I would keep him on the roster somehow if we needed to. Can he play 2b? Haven't seen him there.

But he could opt out.

I did not know that Janish has an opt out. That changes things. We absolutely need him in case JJ get hurt again.

Stop it. No we don't. Janish is 35 with a career OPS that even Cesar Izturis sneers at. Good teams simply don't have players like Janish on the team. This isn't 1968. Even most bad teams wouldn't keep Janish on the 25-man roster. There will be a dozen players released in the coming days who would be better to keep over Janish because the difference in their defensive abilities will be so small compared to the enormous, Pacific Ocean deep dichotomies in their ability to hit minor league pitching, much less big league pitching.

The era of baseball that says it's ok to keep a guy who can catch the ball but can't hit it out of a suburban backyard (when they hit the damn ball at all) is over. It's done. That era died decades ago. Please people, realize it.

Stop it. No we don't. Janish is 35 with a career OPS that even Cesar Izturis sneers at. Good teams simply don't have players like Janish on the team. This isn't 1968. Even most bad teams wouldn't keep Janish on the 25-man roster. There will be a dozen players released in the coming days who would be better to keep over Janish because the difference in their defensive abilities will be so small compared to the enormous, Pacific Ocean deep dichotomies in their ability to hit minor league pitching, much less big league pitching.

The era of baseball that says it's ok to keep a guy who can catch the ball but can't hit it out of a suburban backyard (when they hit the damn ball at all) is over. It's done. That era died decades ago. Please people, realize it.

Hear here. This Janish talk is ridiculous. He's not a player to be longed for; he's a player you're thankful exists because your SS and defensive replacement exploded and need a free agent guy to make it look like you had a backup plan. We aren't there, or close to being there, his hot spring training means diddly compared to his entire career, and there is no way anyone should be hoping he made this team.

Archived