The uptick in the starting pitching the last several days has me feeling calmer

Frobby

With the exception of a 13 game stint in 2011 where Oliver jumped down a level from Bowie to start for Delmarva, Oliver hasn't been effective as a starter. Over 57 starts at three levels he had an ERA north of 4.50, a Whip in the 1.40 range and averaged well over a hit an inning.

Once he transitioned into a full time reliever in 2012, over 150 IP at AA / AAA he's had a 2.00ish ERA, a WHIP under 1.00 and held batters to .65 hits per inning.

He seems to be one of those guys that can be dominant out of the pen, but doesn't have the repertoire / endurance to maintain that as a starter.

Thanks good info and my gut tells me your right, but as bad as we need starting pitching I'll speculate on any thing. :D

Thanks good info and my gut tells me your right, but as bad as we need starting pitching I'll speculate on any thing. :D

Glad you found that useful.

Mike Wright has some interesting patterns in his MILB career as well. Every time he goes to a new level, he struggles the first season (or partial season) and then significantly improves the second season. See below;

Mike Wright:

2011 - (Rk / A ball) 5.72 ERA, 1.34 WHIP

2012 - (A ball) 2.91 ERA, 1.12 WHIP

2012 - (AA) 4.91 ERA, 1.41 WHIP

2013 - (AA) 3.26 ERA, 1.33 WHIP

2014 - (AAA) 5.50 ERA, 1.41 WHIP

2015 - (AAA) 2.22 ERA, 1.04 WHIP

2015 - (ML) 6.04 ERA, 1.56 WHIP

2016 - (ML) ???

It's hard to know if a pattern like this is meaningful without additional data, but it sure looks like he's one of those guys that is capable of making effective adjustments as the competition improves. This suggests to me that he's a better pitcher than his pure stuff would suggest. It will be interesting to watch how he evolves as a pitcher this year after having gotten a taste of ML hitters last year.

The fact that Dan and Buck handed him the #4 starter job even though Wilson out-pitched him seems to indicate they expect him to improve his game as the year goes on as well.

Mike Wright has some interesting patterns in his MILB career as well. Every time he goes to a new level, he struggles the first season (or partial season) and then significantly improves the second season. See below;

Mike Wright:

2016 - (ML) ???

It's hard to know if a pattern like this is meaningful without additional data, but it sure looks like he's one of those guys that is capable of making effective adjustments as the competition improves. This suggests to me that he's a better pitcher than his pure stuff would suggest. It will be interesting to watch how we evolves as a pitcher this year after having gotten a taste of ML hitters last year.

Thanks for sharing this sir. Good stuff.

Mike Wright:

2016 - (ML) ???

It's hard to know if a pattern like this is meaningful without additional data, but it sure looks like he's one of those guys that is capable of making effective adjustments as the competition improves. This suggests to me that he's a better pitcher than his pure stuff would suggest. It will be interesting to watch how he evolves as a pitcher this year after having gotten a taste of ML hitters last year.

The fact that Dan and Buck handed him the #4 starter job even though Wilson out-pitched him seems to indicate they expect him to improve his game as the year goes on as well.

Good info!! I would think this is some of the stuff that Buck and Dan and the coaches look at too. Hopefully Wright can follow this pattern

Good info!! I would think this is some of the stuff that Buck and Dan and the coaches look at too. Hopefully Wright can follow this pattern

Yeah - I was curious what DD / Buck were seeing with Wright that I wasn't, so I dug into his stats more deeply and this is what emerged. I don't think the stats are the story - I suspect they simply reflect a work ethic pattern that Mike's shown at each level. He stuggles at first, he works hard with his coaches to identify why he is struggling and corrects it, he gets good results and moves up a level. Rinse and repeat.

If that's what has happened during his O's career, then DD / Buck would be aware of that pattern from feedback from his minor league coaches, not necessarily because of his stats. I wish there were someone who knows the minor league pitching coaches who could shed some light on this.

Yeah - I was curious what DD / Buck were seeing with Wright that I wasn't, so I dug into his stats more deeply and this is what emerged. I don't think the stats are the story - I suspect they simply reflect a work ethic pattern that Mike's shown at each level. He stuggles at first, he works hard with his coaches to identify why he is struggling and corrects it, he gets good results and moves up a level. Rinse and repeat.

If that's what has happened during his O's career, then DD / Buck would be aware of that pattern from feedback from his minor league coaches, not necessarily because of his stats. I wish there were someone who knows the minor league pitching coaches who could shed some light on this.

Definitely a great pull, thanks for digging it up. Not quite sure what to make of it either, but I'll take the optimism that we see the pattern continue!

With the bullpen and this offense, we might be looking at a lot of come-from-behind wins this year. Which is fine with me, as long as they win.

It's going to be an often frustrating but potentially very fun year. Buckle up.

Any lead going into the 7th inning, should be pretty much, turn off the lights, the show is over. :)

Mike Wright:

2016 - (ML) ???

Thanks for this.

2012 was Advanced-A (and AA.)

Thanks for this.

2012 was Advanced-A (and AA.)

Yeah I took some liberties with his 2011 / 2012 seasons. In 2011 he struggled with Rk/low A/A and the first half of 2012 he dominated in high A. I figured those levels were similar enough to fit into the later trend shown for AA and then AAA.

Archived