Nice Washington Post Column on Rickard's Debut

MemorialStadKid

Svurluga is the best baseball columnist out there, IMO. Wish he wrote about the O's instead of the Nats on a regular basis.

He hasn't been a baseball beat writer since his daughter was born. The Redskins and Golf are his normal beat now.

Svurluga is the best baseball columnist out there, IMO. Wish he wrote about the O's instead of the Nats on a regular basis.

Is Bosewell still writing for the post?

I used to read him all the time, loved his writing, but when the Post Internet went to paid subscription, I dont follow it too much.

Is Boswell still writing for the post?

I used to read him all the time, loved his writing, but when the Post Internet went to paid subscription, I dont follow it too much.

I am a Post online subscriber and yes Tom Boz is still writing - from yesterday on the Nats.

"Perhaps it actually speaks more like the first page of the first chapter of the first volume. And the next page would say: The young, rebuilding Braves tried hard but they sure gave it away. In addition to Pierzynski’s failure to nail Werth, second baseman Gordon Beckham’s throw after a grounder by Ryan Zimmerman missed first base by almost 15 feet with one out in the 10th. All game, Zimmerman ran wild on the bases — by his standards — as if nothing at all was wrong with his foot. He beat out a double-play grounder. He dove head-first into second on a short wild pitch. And on that wild throw off the box seats by Beckham, he wheeled for second base, gambling that the ricochet wouldn’t go straight to a Brave. Next man up, Murphy, sliced a liner down the left field line for a double as he’s done in 1,000 batting practices."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals-win-on-opening-day-had-plenty-of-good-bad-and-ugly-thats-baseball/2016/04/04/7545d92a-fa9b-11e5-886f-a037dba38301_story.html

I am a Post online subscriber and yes Tom Boz is still writing - from yesterday on the Nats.

"Perhaps it actually speaks more like the first page of the first chapter of the first volume. And the next page would say: The young, rebuilding Braves tried hard but they sure gave it away. In addition to Pierzynski’s failure to nail Werth, second baseman Gordon Beckham’s throw after a grounder by Ryan Zimmerman missed first base by almost 15 feet with one out in the 10th. All game, Zimmerman ran wild on the bases — by his standards — as if nothing at all was wrong with his foot. He beat out a double-play grounder. He dove head-first into second on a short wild pitch. And on that wild throw off the box seats by Beckham, he wheeled for second base, gambling that the ricochet wouldn’t go straight to a Brave. Next man up, Murphy, sliced a liner down the left field line for a double as he’s done in 1,000 batting practices."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals-win-on-opening-day-had-plenty-of-good-bad-and-ugly-thats-baseball/2016/04/04/7545d92a-fa9b-11e5-886f-a037dba38301_story.html

IMO, I think Boswell is the best reporter that I have read on a regular basis, heads and tails above his peers.

The Joey Rickards are always the most exciting players. They are the spirit of baseball. With established expensive veterans, there's either disappointment if they suck or mild contentment if they're good, because they're expected to be good. With guys who are benchwarmers or generally not strongly regarded, you assume any hot streaks or excellent play are an illusion. With Rule 5 guys, you're not really sure what you have because the guy was well-regarded enough to be picked. They are in a fairly unique position where they must be carried the entire year, having neither options nor established seniority. So when they're good, you think maybe this guy is finally executing on his latent talent, and you just found an amazing player for virtually nothing. And under team control for a long time.

So every time this guy singles my heart skips a little because I think maybe we're onto something. And maybe an 81-win team is now 86. Or better... point is maybe he's a big difference maker.

Look at him dance off first... lol...

Archived