24 Years Ago Today ......

OFFNY

o

...... Rick Sutcliffe pitched a complete-game shutout against the Cleveland Indians in the first game ever at Oriole Park @ Camden Yards.

I won a Nick Markakis-autographed baseball at FanFest in April of 2009 by answering that question ...... you had to know the exact date, in addition to the outcome of the game.

I was there as well, two weeks before I moved to Texas. As a 13-game plan season ticket holder, I was able to send postcards to a special address in order to enter a drawing to be able to purchase tickets for Opening Day. I think I sent a hundred of them. (For those of you unfamiliar with the term, "postcards" were a 19th/20th century item where one side usually had a photograph, and on the back side the sender would write the address of the recipient, and add a few notes about what a great time they were having on vacation.)

My personal "Orioles triumvirate" was attending the final game at Memorial Stadium, the exhibition game at Camden Yards against the Mets ("Eddie! Eddie!") and the first game against the Tribe.

I was there as well, two weeks before I moved to Texas. As a 13-game plan season ticket holder, I was able to send postcards to a special address in order to enter a drawing to be able to purchase tickets for Opening Day. I think I sent a hundred of them. (For those of you unfamiliar with the term, "postcards" were a 19th/20th century item where one side usually had a photograph, and on the back side the sender would write the address of the recipient, and add a few notes about what a great time they were having on vacation.)

My personal "Orioles triumvirate" was attending the final game at Memorial Stadium, the exhibition game at Camden Yards against the Mets ("Eddie! Eddie!") and the first game against the Tribe.

Interesting. Had not considered my personal "Orioles triumvirate", but that would be a cool discussion. I was at the Opening Game at OPACY, Ripken's record breaker and the all star game we hosted at OPACY.

Interesting. Had not considered my personal "Orioles triumvirate", but that would be a cool discussion. I was at the Opening Game at OPACY, Ripken's record breaker and the all star game we hosted at OPACY.

Yours is damn good! Let's hear from someone who attended three World Series victories, one each in '66, '70 & '83!

o

...... Rick Sutcliffe pitched a complete-game shutout against the Cleveland Indians in the first game ever at Oriole Park @ Camden Yards.

I won a Nick Markakis-autographed baseball at FanFest in April of 2009 by answering that question ...... you had to know the exact date, in addition to the outcome of the game.

We won 2-0 and opened the Yard in style. Thanks, in part, to the Red Baron. Wow, Patrick, 25 seasons at the Yard.

I guess my triumvirate would be the same as yours, Hooz. Incredible lasting memories!

I didn't win my opening day tix or the Ripken games (I went to three that week) with post cards, though. Had to pay a ticket broker, and I couldn't really afford it at the time, but I wasn't missing them! The Ripken games I bought before the season started, and prayed all year for no rainouts! Lol! We were very lucky!

How'd you sneak into the stadium on the first day? You think the staff would know that you're in there.

It was early and unorganized. I bought a blue workers pass from a 16-20 kid for 10 bucks who said this will get you in the gate and then I had to give it back to him once I was inside. It was worth the gamble and darn if it didn't work ! They had a gentlemen standing with a notepad with names on it and telling the workers where to go, I kinda got close to him but then wondered off to the bathroom and then walked around for a long time until I found a seat in the last row of the lower deck underneath the under hang down the right field line

every year after that I purchased my tickets to Opening Day :) So my streak is at 24 years --- look out Cal !

It was early and unorganized. I bought a blue workers pass from a 16-20 kid for 10 bucks who said this will get you in the gate and then I had to give it back to him once I was inside. It was worth the gamble and darn if it didn't work ! They had a gentlemen standing with a notepad with names on it and telling the workers where to go, I kinda got close to him but then wondered off to the bathroom and then walked around for a long time until I found a seat in the last row of the lower deck underneath the under hang down the right field line

every year after that I purchased my tickets to Opening Day :) So my streak is at 24 years --- look at Cal !

That's an awesome story.

Archived