Who is your DH today if Jones is out?

wildcard

I thought he had changed his approach and become more left dominant. He was still SHJ back in 2012. Long time ago.
2013 is 350 PA ago, not a long time ago. I imagine he might have changed his approach with an injured right elbow during that time, but I would give much importance to these numbers unless he is still injured.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://thebaltimorewire.com/2015/07/28/baltimore-orioles-matt-wieters-hitting-left-and-right/

His splits have flip flopped several times during his career.

You need to take a closer look and read the above post where I compared the SS. In his first 800 PA he was just learning to hit ML pitching and in the MiL he had better splits v RHP, because he faced more RHP. In his next 1500 PA when he was healthy, playing full time, and facing LHP more frequently, he had much better splits v LHP.Go to bbr and look at the difference. Then in his last 350 PA when his right elbow was injured and as a RH batter this would be the driving arm of his swing, his splits reverted. I think the 1500 PA when healthy take precedence.

You need to take a closer look and read the above post where I compared the SS. In his first 800 PA he was just learning to hit ML pitching and in the MiL he had better splits v RHP, because he faced more RHP. In his next 1500 PA when he was healthy, playing full time, and facing LHP more frequently, he had much better splits v LHP.Go to bbr and look at the difference. Then in his last 350 PA when his right elbow was injured and as a RH batter this would be the driving arm of his swing, his splits reverted. I think the 1500 PA when healthy take precedence.

2013 401 / .214 178 / .282

2012 442 / .224 151 / .323

2011 409 / .237 142 / .339

Those 1500 PAs? Doesn't look all that great against righties to me. I looked at BBR and it shows the exact same thing the page I posted says. Career numbers are averaging them all together and is misleading. He wasn't

hurt from 2011-2013 and he stunk against righties overall.

2013 401 / .214 178 / .282

2012 442 / .224 151 / .323

2011 409 / .237 142 / .339

Those 1500 PAs? Doesn't look all that great against righties to me. I looked at BBR and it shows the exact same thing the page I posted says. Career numbers are averaging them all together and is misleading. He wasn't

hurt from 2011-2013 and he stunk against righties overall.

I think you are confused. I am saying he has better numbers v LHP during those 1500 +PA than v RHP and that is a better SS than his early PA 2019 2010, or the 350 PA when he was injured. I have been saying he has been better v LHP as a RH batter for his career. What are you trying to say.

The point is he is not a good switch hitter. He's never good from both sides at the same time. A good switch hitter is good from both sides; Wheat is not.
This is what you said at the beginning:

"Oh, right. I try to forget that he does that since his career line as a RH is terrible and should be abandoned. I thought his LH vs LHP numbers were a lot better looking, but it's been awhile since I peeked. Pretty sure, though. " That's wrong, if anything, he should always bat RH.

The point is he is not a good switch hitter. He's never good from both sides at the same time. A good switch hitter is good from both sides; Wheat is not.

But he's been a SH his whole career. Seems like a tall order to ask him to start seeing LHP as a LHB or RHP as a RHB all of a sudden now.

This is what you said at the beginning:

"Oh, right. I try to forget that he does that since his career line as a RH is terrible and should be abandoned. I thought his LH vs LHP numbers were a lot better looking, but it's been awhile since I peeked. Pretty sure, though. " That's wrong, if anything, he should always bat RH.

Point taken, I had them mixed up. I got "against RHP" and RH hitting mixed up. I did indeed get confused, my fault. However, Wheat has shown the ability to be a very good hitter from both sides of the plate. It doesn't

matter to me which side he picks, but he should pick one and I bet his end of season offensive lines would look a lot better.

Archived