It's that time of year again: Nationals Pursuing DD (Nationals deny this story)

TheDirtyBird

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a lot of the real head scratching moves a GM makes are in response to ownership's demands.

Maybe that explains bidding against ourselves with Chris Davis.

But does it explain signing Ubaldo? Gallardo? Trading away what little starting pitching depth we had in the minors (ERod, Tarpley, Hader, Davies)? Apparently not evaluating Kim well enough and then signing him to a contract that could (did?) hurt the O's and then trying to manipulate him through the media? And this doesn't even start on the Fowler debacle. I don't think Fowler was 100% to blame (certainly a good portion), but let's not assume that DD didn't have a lick to blame.

Maybe that explains bidding against ourselves with Chris Davis.

But does it explain signing Ubaldo? Gallardo? Trading away what little starting pitching depth we had in the minors (ERod, Tarpley, Hader, Davies)? Apparently not evaluating Kim well enough and then signing him to a contract that could (did?) hurt the O's and then trying to manipulate him through the media? And this doesn't even start on the Fowler debacle. I don't think Fowler was 100% to blame (certainly a good portion), but let's not assume that DD didn't have a lick to blame.

I wasn't specifically talking about Dan.

I think Moreno was behind the Pujols and Hamilton signings for instance.

I think the ownership in Philly delayed the rebuilding process.

I think ownership in Baltimore not only forced the Davis signing but gave clear direction that the team would go for it this year but ownership would not give them the resources to sign folks like Heyward or Price. That explains things like the O'Day deal and Gallardo.

Don't get me wrong I do think Dan deserves his share of the blame, the Parra deal for instance.

"@MikeBerandino: #Orioles GM Dan Duquette, a #BlueJays target in 2014-15, could be in play again. #Nationals are pursuing him as team president, per source."

The annual Oriole's tradition!

Here's an article:

Report Says that the Nationals Are Interested in Duquette

(By Rich Dubroff)

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/blog/orioles-talk/report-says-nationals-interested-duquette

"@MikeBerandino: #Orioles GM Dan Duquette, a #BlueJays target in 2014-15, could be in play again. #Nationals are pursuing him as team president, per source."

The annual Oriole's tradition!

Get a decent player in return and let him go. Seriously, Buck is what has made this thing work. He can take his new Korean 7mm outfielder with him too!

DD is under binding contract until 2018, and Angelos is not going to give permission to talk with him.

End of story. :)

Every GM who's ever changed jobs in this fashion has been under a binding contract. If the Nationals, or any other team not named the Blue Jays, approached PA the right way, I think there would be a reasonable chance PA would respect the convention that has been in place in major league baseball for quite a long time concerning poaching with a promotion attached.

Archived