Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

If he hits like this all year, he'll get a 5/75 contract from someone who buys into the "new" Mark Trumbo.

He isn't likely to hit like this all year, but if he did - I think he'd edge a little over 100 mil.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When Cruz was 30 like Trumbo is now, he had a .950 OPS season. The 2 seasons prior he had 1.030 and .856 seasons under his belt. Trumbo has never had a season as good as any of those. Only had two seasons so far with an OPS above .800 and his highest was .808. Hold your horses.

He isn't likely to hit like this all year, but if he did - I think he'd edge a little over 100 mil.

No way he'd get 100mil. There are some dumb GMs out there but none are that naive.

History says it will. He had a .965 OPS through 76 games in 2012 and finished at .808. That's his best full year OPS in his career. He's a long way from being at a .965 OPS after 76 games.

Yea, maybe. I'm in complete agreement that he's playing above his true talent level right now, although that's not really going too far out on a limb. If he ends anywhere north of .800 OPS, though, I'm fairly confident he'll get more money total than Cruz, even with a slightly lower AAV if only because he's younger at the time of signing (thus potential for more years), slightly more versatile and doesn't have the past suspension. Could be $60/5, could be $80/6, I have no idea. I just think that if he doesn't completely fall off the cliff (let's say he plays to his career averages from here out), it wouldn't be at all shocking to see him make more than Cruz did ($57/4).

I don't care about his slumps, which will come. I don't care about his strikeouts which will be high.

I want the Orioles to re-sign Mark Trumbo right now before his price becomes too high.

If he remains healthy he will be an All Star this year.

He's not a great fielder but is capable of playing the outfield position better than Nelson Cruz.

I believe the reason the Orioles didn't get into the post season last year was the inability to find a bat to replace Nelson Cruz. We found one this year, and his name is Mark Trumbo.

Mark is 6 years younger than Cruz, and figures to hit well at OPCY and seems to be a very popular guy in the clubhouse. No baggage. Hard worker. Positive attitude.

The Mariners signed Cruz for an average of about 15 million a year. Then and now, it was a bargain.Trumbo might ask for 18-20million per. I think he's worth it. Sign him now and lets keep this core together and then sign Manny too.

We can't sign both MM and Trumbo, can we? Manny comes first.

We can't sign both MM and Trumbo, can we? Manny comes first.

I will say that this past offseason should dispel any notions of absolutism with regard to what the Orioles can or can't/will or won't do. That said, Manny is absolutely priority n?mero uno.

Just curious - What do you think Arrieta's going to get?

They're not comparable cases at all. One has nothing to do with the other, and Mark Trumbo will not get anywhere near $100 million even if he keeps up at this pace. Nelson Cruz didn't, and right now that's his best case scenario.

If we offer him a contract based on current production, we'd be crazy. If we offered one based on career numbers it might insult him. I say let it ride for another month and readdress

I simply don't think he's a fit here on a LT deal. I think we take the pick, play Mancini as a 1B/DH with Chris next season, take the comp pick, and put the money that would be used toward a MM extension.

If we offer him a contract based on current production, we'd be crazy. If we offered one based on career numbers it might insult him. I say let it ride for another month and readdress

We shouldn't offer anything other than a QO because we don't need him.

Archived