Some impressions of Mark Trumbo

Frobby

Trumbo has been a decent player the last three years down the stretch so most of those number happened around 5 years ago. He is what he is a guy that can go on a tear for awhile and then slump badly at time which is what happens to most power hitter. Splits 2013-2015

April .273/.320/.834

May .243/.316/.831

June .170/.228/..525

July .248/.283.674

August .252/.326/.773

September ..252/.301/.763

So June and July were his down months and then he would tick back up to what I think he is a .250 hitter with lower OBP and a high .700 or lower .800 hitter in Camden Yards.

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you wanted us to trade Trumbo to a team that needed a bat because you knew he would tank in the second half? Assuming you are right, wouldn't other teams know that as well? What do you think we could have gotten for him?

"Eh, we love Mark, he leads in HRs. We just....eh....have other needs." "Now, we're going to need a little money coming back our way to offset Mr Kershaw's contract." :D

DFA Pearce for a 27 year old with a .700 ish OPS at AAA?

Sound strategy.

At least he would be a healthy body. Pearce is frequently injured, you would think DD would have learned from his last season with O's

Giving away anything for a guy that can't stay on the field (and aint so hot when he is on it) was just another DD trade deadline mistake

Did you see his throw the other night. You pretty much can't play him in the OF, so he's a backup 1B/DH pinch hitter

At least he would be a healthy body. Pearce is frequently injured, you would think DD would have learned from his last season with O's

Giving away anything for a guy that can't stay on the field (and aint so hot when he is on it) was just another DD trade deadline mistake

Did you see his throw the other night. You pretty much can't play him in the OF, so he's a backup 1B/DH pinch hitter

A DD trade mistake a guy that is verstle can hit left handed pitching which we have trouble with and can play decent defense for a guy that can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Helm is not going to hit well enough to be a major league catcher the best you can hope from him is the backup catcher that hits .200 and plays good defense. Pearce has not helped the team yet but he is very capable of giving guys rest and doing so down the stretch.

A DD trade mistake a guy that is verstle can hit left handed pitching which we have trouble with and can play decent defense for a guy that can't hit his way out of a paper bag. Helm is not going to hit well enough to be a major league catcher the best you can hope from him is the backup catcher that hits .200 and plays good defense. Pearce has not helped the team yet but he is very capable of giving guys rest and doing so down the stretch.

Not if he is injured, which he is, and often is

Career OPS Splits by Month:

Apr: .843

May: .889

Jun: .724

Jul: .755

Aug: .708

Sep: .692

So we have a guy that Buck is considering an all star MO bat, clogging up the whole lineup, and we know from history that we have is a guy that is going OPS around .70 for the remainder of the year, as he does every year.

With his defense he is a below replacemet level player for the rest of the year

At leas Chris Davis has a history of getting hot in Aug/Sep, but we've gotten all we are going to get from Mark Trumbo

and no I don't want to extend a hitter that disappears for the last two months of every season.

Gee, I wonder what could possibly be wearing off from the off season year after year. Jus sayin...

Do you revel in misery? I can't remember a time when you weren't happy that the O's were struggling. Curious to me but if it floats your boat.

While I think there are reasons that you might not want to extend Trumbo, the fact that he has splits that favor the first half of the season isn't one of them, IMO. A win in April counts just as much as a win in September. I care much more about the overall numbers than I do about the monthly splits.

That said, right now he is substantially underperforming his usual second half splits (.487 OPS since the all-star break) and we certainly need him to be at least respectable down the stretch, along with just about everyone else on the team. It's just brutal watching the whole team struggle like this.

Archived