Is it just me or is Jim Hunter not that bad on radio?

Guest JChav

Guest JChav

I've never liked Hunter on TV. But on radio, I gotta say... he seems rather knowledgeable. The homerism is still there but it's not as pronounced, he does a pretty good job at painting the picture of what's happening, and he throws in a good amount of relevant trivial information.

I'm sure Fred Manfra is a great guy but he's always had a few aggravating tendencies. Chief among them his absolute lack of depth perception (any ball with warning track potential is a HIGH DRIVE DEEP TO LEFT/RIGHT/CENTERFIELD!). He's getting up there in age, and he just seems to be losing his edge. Last year, he had to have it explained to him on air why a runner on 2nd base scores on a ground rule double.

Honestly, I'll be a little disappointed to see Jim Hunter go back to TV and Fred take back the 3rd, 4th, 6th, and 7th innings, whenever he's coming back...

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing.

And the worst part about Manfra on the radio is, he describes the play so thoroughly and intently without telling you what the result is--caught, foul, safe, whatever.

Guest JChav
He is. Some people just do better at different mediums. That said, I always wondered how Angel would do in TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angel would be great wherever he goes. Dude is just on his own level as a broadcaster. But radio is where he belongs... he just has too many jokes that I think he gets away with on radio that wouldn't fly on TV. Just tonight he fit in a quip about Donald Trump having small hands that may have landed him in hot water on TV.

Does anyone know when Manfra is coming back and what's keeping him out? I must have missed whenver that came out.

The problem with Hunter on TV is that he continues to do the play-by-play as if he's doing it on the radio. I think he's pretty darn good on the radio and bad (not awful) on TV.

Jon Miller was and is good at TV broadcasts because he can make that shift pretty seamlessly.

Angel would be great wherever he goes. Dude is just on his own level as a broadcaster. But radio is where he belongs... he just has too many jokes that I think he gets away with on radio that wouldn't fly on TV. Just tonight he fit in a quip about Donald Trump having small hands that may have landed him in hot water on TV.

Does anyone know when Manfra is coming back and what's keeping him out? I must have missed whenver that came out.

Ha, you're probably right. Fred btw is recovering from surgery I believe. Think he'll be back next month.

Guest JChav
Ya know, I was thinking the same thing.

And the worst part about Manfra on the radio is, he describes the play so thoroughly and intently without telling you what the result is--caught, foul, safe, whatever.

Oh man, yes!! Sometimes I've figured out the outcome of a play based on the crowd's reaction, and Manfra is maybe--MAYBE--halfway through explaining what happened.

Guest JChav
Ha, you're probably right. Fred btw is recovering from surgery I believe. Think he'll be back next month.

Dang. Second surgery for him in a year IIRC. Well, I hope he has a thorough, easy...but maybe not particularly speedy recovery ;)

Baltimore radio listeners have been spoiled. I go back to the days of Earnie Harwell, who I think was one of the great announcers of all time. Teamed with him was Herb Carneal, who became the Twins announcer for 30 years. Then of course along came Chuck. Then Jon Miller and Joe in one of the greatest tandems of all time. After listening to these broadcasters, it is easy to become cynical about lesser individuals. Hunter is much better at radio. Ben McDonald would be terrific if he decided to go full time from LA. Yes, we have been spoiled. Bill O'Donnell was good too but early health problems terminated his career. Yes, spoiled we have been for more than 60 years. Wishing the best for Fred.

Hunter is not bad at doing play by play. Play by play is MUCH more valuable on the radio when, you know, you can't see the play. That's why he's much better on the radio. He's horrible at everything else, never has anything interesting to say and frequently just spouts nonsense.

Guest JChav
Hunter is not bad at doing play by play. Play by play is MUCH more valuable on the radio when, you know, you can't see the play. That's why he's much better on the radio. He's horrible at everything else, never has anything interesting to say and frequently just spouts nonsense.

Exactly. Radio play-by-play is by far the hardest broadcast position in sports (It's probably hardest in other sports, like hockey, but that's a whole different discussion). There's so much going on for him to intimate to the listener that he just doesn't have the opportunity to mess it up like he does on TV. :laughlol:

Archived