Should Orioles Trade For Sonny Gray? (Astros should be talking To Oakland according to photog)

section18

I think you don't understand the point I was making.

Would you like me to explain it for you?

You could have just explained it to me two posts ago, but since you're kind of a twatt I didn't expect you to. Have a go.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could have just explained it to me two posts ago, but since you're kind of a twatt I didn't expect you to. Have a go.

I figured maybe you wanted to go back and figure it out on your own.

Now this is the start of it.

Gausman and Schoop should pique their interest and I would expand it with another prospect or two IF Oakland could send us back a 2B prospect who is close to being MLB ready. To add a pitcher like Gray to this club would equal what Toronto did last year with Price. In short, it would clinch the division for us.

The poster is talking about how adding Gray would clinch the division this year for the O's like Price did for the Jays.

Here is the issue I had with what he said.

Let us say that both Price and Gray are 5 win guys as a baseline.

The Jays traded prospects for Price. They were able to remove a replacement level guy and replace him with ~2.0 or so wins of worth of Price.

The O's would be adding ~4.5 wins worth of Gray but would be subtracting lets say ~1.5 wins of Gausman and ~2.0 wins of Schoop.

The Jays in this instance are gaining 2 Wins in less than half of a season. The O's would be gaining 1 Win in 80% of a season.

The O's, by having to give up major league regulars, would not be seeing the same return at the ML level as the 2015 Jays did.

That is the point I was making. Further years of team control are irrelevant to that point.

I figured maybe you wanted to go back and figure it out on your own.

Now this is the start of it.

The poster is talking about how adding Gray would clinch the division this year for the O's like Price did for the Jays.

Here is the issue I had with what he said.

Let us say that both Price and Gray are 5 win guys as a baseline.

The Jays traded prospects for Price. They were able to remove a replacement level guy and replace him with ~2.0 or so wins of worth of Price.

The O's would be adding ~4.5 wins worth of Gray but would be subtracting lets say ~1.5 wins of Gausman and ~2.0 wins of Schoop.

The Jays in this instance are gaining 2 Wins in less than half of a season. The O's would be gaining 1 Win in 80% of a season.

The O's, by having to give up major league regulars, would not be seeing the same return at the ML level as the 2015 Jays did.

That is the point I was making. Further years of team control are irrelevant to that point.

I thought you were just trying to wind me up, so I apologize for my insult. Thanks for the detailed reply. No, I didn't realize the intention of your original discussion was purely around WAR, which is why I posted my initial reply. But in my defense you could have just said what you said above in a much earlier, briefer and clearer post. It's not like threads and conversations always stay on one clear point.

But thanks again for the reply. :D

I thought you were just trying to wind me up, so I apologize for my insult. Thanks for the detailed reply. No, I didn't realize the intention of your original discussion was purely around WAR, which is why I posted my initial reply. But in my defense you could have just said what you said above in a much earlier, briefer and clearer post. It's not like threads and conversations always stay on one clear point.

NP, and I have more fun doing things the hard way. :P

BTW I wasn't strictly talking about WAR. I was using WAR as a shorthand to show that the O's would be losing production at the ML level. Yes Gray is great but how much of a dropoff is there from Schoop to Flaherty and Flaherty to whomever replaces him on the roster?

BTW I wasn't strictly talking about WAR. I was using WAR as a shorthand to show that the O's would be losing production at the ML level. Yes Gray is great but how much of a dropoff is there from Schoop to Flaherty and Flaherty to whomever replaces him on the roster?

But what if Baltimore had traded Britton for Javy Baez? Then we'd be cooking with gas...

• 3 weeks later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sonny Gray leaves after 3 2/3 innings, Fernando Rodriguez takes over. Over his past 12 2/3 innings, Gray has allowed 17 runs.</p>— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) <a href="

">May 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived