Gotta give props to McFarland

LookitsPuck

It was the 3rd inning. The Royals were only up by 4. That's not insurmountable by any means. It'd be different if it was 11-0. But this one was close.

For the Royals that's huge. Look at their swings. Did you watch the game? It was more about the royals approach than it was his stuff

For the Royals that's huge. Look at their swings. Did you watch the game? It was more about the royals approach than it was his stuff

No one is saying he is Cy Young. He pitched five scoreless innings. I don't care if he gave up five runs over five innings. He pitched five innings after our starter crapped the bed. That's the key takeaway. We didn't have to torpedo our whole bullpen tonight while we're in the midst of a stretch in which we play 13 games in 13 days.

I like MacFarland just fine as a long reliever. Unfortunately we have several of those types on the roster and he has an option, so I expect him to be sent down when Matusz is activated.

We've been saying for years that O's should do like what they did in the glory years and let these young guys get their feet wet in the pen. Well that's what has been done with Gausman, Macfarland, Wilson and now Bundy. Now it's time for Mac and Wilson to step up and become SP's.

This....

94 mph. He was like 90 when we first got him.

....combined with this make him a much more effective pitcher.

One thing I have noticed lately is he is starting to be able to get his slider across for strikes, and not middle of the zone, but back door strikes.

The Royals lack of an approach had more to do with how well TJ was throwing last night.

Archived