Pressures on Wright as no one wants to be sent down to make room for Gausman

wildcard

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McFarland just pitched the best 5 innings we have seen from any O's pitcher this year and it was against the World Champs. I don't see him being sent down.

Worley has to stay up because he is out of options,

I think Wilson and Wright are pitching over the next two games for the right to stay.

Tillman, Jimenez, Gausman, (MaFarland or Worley) and (Wilson or Wright ) is the rotation going forward IMO.

So one decent performance in long relief completely wipes out the Texas debacle and the three years of mediocrity before that? Even though he doesn't strike anybody out, Wilson has done nothing but pitch at a very high level since he's been in the majors. Wright hasn't pitched as well but his stuff plays very well in the bullpen where he won't have to rely on his off-speed pitches as much. Both of them deserves to stay. The only time McFarland should ever be on the 25 man roster is if Matusz is out with an injury.

So one decent performance in long relief completely wipes out the Texas debacle and the three years of mediocrity before that? Even though he doesn't strike anybody out, Wilson has done nothing but pitch at a very high level since he's been in the majors. Wright hasn't pitched as well but his stuff plays very well in the bullpen where he won't have to rely on his off-speed pitches as much. Both of them deserves to stay. The only time McFarland should ever be on the 25 man roster is if Matusz is out with an injury.

Yes. He does get kudos for showing that he could do that to an energetic lineup. McFarland is not awful and all pitchers have bad outings, especially since T.J. came in with two on. Not the best position for him to succeed. He did make a lazy play on that grounder. That one stung.

You thought Wilson pitched "at a very high level" last year at the ML level?

I think you are being a little hard on McFarland. In three years plus 6 games this year as an Oriole he has a:

10-6 record, 3.84 ERA in 185 IP, 213 H, 62 BB, 121 SO, 1.49 WHIP

What that says is he has been successful in spite of giving up too many hits per innings pitched. His strikes are ok at 121 in 185 inning. It doesn't make him a strike pitcher but he is not terrible either.

In six games this year he has had 4 outing that have been scoreless. His ERA is 3.18. In 11.1 IP he has given up 8 hits and he has a WHIP of 0.97. So he is doing fine in 2016 so far.

He is the only pitcher on the staff that has pitched 5 scoreless innings in a game. I think that is someone that Buck probably wants on his staff.

What happens in the next two starts with Wilson and Wright will change the perception of what moves should be made. We will see. But for now I think Matusz up, Gallardp to the DL and wait until Monday for the next move to be determined.

I think you are being a little hard on McFarland. In three years plus 6 games this year as an Oriole he has a:

10-6 record, 3.84 ERA in 185 IP, 213 H, 62 BB, 121 SO, 1.49 WHIP

What that says is he has been successful in spite of giving up too many hits per innings pitched. His strikes are ok at 121 in 185 inning. It doesn't make him a strike pitcher but he is not terrible either.

In six games this year he has had 4 outing that have been scoreless. His ERA is 3.18. In 11.1 IP he has given up 8 hits and he has a WHIP of 0.97. So he is doing fine in 2016 so far.

He is the only pitcher on the staff that has pitched 5 scoreless innings in a game. I think that is something that Buck probably wants on this staff.

What happens in the next two starts with Wilson and Wright will change the perception of what moves should be made. We will see. But for now I think Matusz up, Gallardp to the DL and wait until Monday for the next move to be determined.

These are not very good numbers for a reliever, especially the WHIP. McFarland is what he is. An expendable swing man that is likely the sixth or seventh guy in your bullpen.

You thought Wilson pitched "at a very high level" last year at the ML level?

He has a career ERA of 3.07 and career FIP of 3.59. He has a career ERA of 1.42 and WHIP of 1.21 as a reliever. He's excellent with runners on base holding opponents to a line of .205/.244/.294. Now he's not a starter and never will be but he's pitched very effectively out of the bullpen.

These are not very good numbers for a reliever, especially the WHIP. McFarland is what he is. An expendable swing man that is likely the sixth or seventh guy in your bullpen.

I can agree with that. But the O's need a sixth or 7th guy in the pen that can be a swing man. He fits for now. How he pitches going forward will determine if the O's have someone better for the staff or if he does well enough to stay through out the season. So far he has been optioned every year he has had an option. So it would not surprise me if it happen again. However so far this year he looks better than some of the alternatives.

He has a career ERA of 3.07 and career FIP of 3.59. He has a career ERA of 1.42 and WHIP of 1.21 as a reliever. He's excellent with runners on base holding opponents to a line of .205/.244/.294. Now he's not a starter and never will be but he's pitched very effectively out of the bullpen.

Its a little early to know if Wilson will be a starter.

Nice young man. He'll be 27 in September. It's now if he is. He won't get too many chances at age 2 or 29. He'll be a bullpen guy.

Your ability to see into the future is much better than mine. However, when a guy will be 27 in September most of the 2016 season he will pitch at age 26.

I see you specified here he won't be a starter. I'm not sure I agree with that, but last year I thought he was very average. His FB is pedestrian and he had average command of the slider. His 1.389 WHIP and 3.3 SO P/9 do not stand out, but he's off to a better start SSS that it is this year.

Your ability to see into the future is much better than mine. However, when a guy will be 27 in September most of the 2016 season he will pitch at age 26.

No. It's not my prognositcation. It's the fact that a starter needs to be a start by the time they turn 28. Wilson will need to do well the next year. It's not a guess.

This is omitting his best number - career 61.2% GB rate. That's extremely high. It's going to lead to a bad WHIP but still result in a pretty good pitcher.

He has a career 3.84 ERA, 3.77 FIP, 3.78 xFIP, and 3.49 SIERA. I agree it's not excellent for a reliever and he is a 6th or 7th guy in your pen - but he's quality at that, not necessarily expendable.

Archived