Pressures on Wright as no one wants to be sent down to make room for Gausman

wildcard

I want to like Tyler Wilson. I really do. I love watching him on the mound, I like how he's not afraid to throw strikes and is a high energy pitcher. I think he's excellent at using his fastball, cutting, sinking, and riding it up in the zone. I just don't think he's going to miss enough bats to be a starting pitcher. His rates as a major leaguer are quite literally among the worst in baseball. I'm up for giving him a shot but I don't have a long leash on him.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So one decent performance in long relief completely wipes out the Texas debacle and the three years of mediocrity before that? Even though he doesn't strike anybody out, Wilson has done nothing but pitch at a very high level since he's been in the majors. Wright hasn't pitched as well but his stuff plays very well in the bullpen where he won't have to rely on his off-speed pitches as much. Both of them deserves to stay. The only time McFarland should ever be on the 25 man roster is if Matusz is out with an injury.

The Texas debacle is on Buck, not TJ. If Buck doesn't foolishly try to extend Gallardo, who had been fortunate to get through six innings, and instead brings in TJ to start the inning, as he normally does, instead of with runners on second and third with no out (he's not great with inherited runners, TJ quite possibly pitches a scoreless seventh.

So one decent performance in long relief completely wipes out the Texas debacle and the three years of mediocrity before that? Even though he doesn't strike anybody out, Wilson has done nothing but pitch at a very high level since he's been in the majors. Wright hasn't pitched as well but his stuff plays very well in the bullpen where he won't have to rely on his off-speed pitches as much. Both of them deserves to stay. The only time McFarland should ever be on the 25 man roster is if Matusz is out with an injury.

Granted it's only 44 IP but if his K rate remains at his career level of 3.5 per 9, or even this year's tiny sample of 4.5 per 9, his career will be extremely short.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

The Texas debacle is on Buck, not TJ. If Buck doesn't foolishly try to extend Gallardo, who had been fortunate to get through six innings, and instead brings in TJ to start the inning, as he normally does, instead of with runners on second and third with no out (he's not great with inherited runners, TJ quite possibly pitches a scoreless seventh.

Every blown save is a debacle. Every team has a couple each season. Some more than that.

He doesn't miss a lot of bats, he doesn't have electric stuff. But Tyler Wilson does one thing that none of the other O's starters have shown the ability to do: He gets through innings without elevated pitch counts.

2015: 14.44 pitches/inning

2016 (prior to tonight): 15.13 pitches/inning

Tonight: 14 pitches/inning

Career: 14.51 pitches/inning

There's something to be said for guys that can get soft contact. It takes a large sample to determine whether you have a guy with a repeatable skillset or a guy who's getting lucky. But he's worth keeping in the rotation based on pitch count alone. He has potential to get deep into games from time to time, which the bullpen sorely needs to stay rested into the summer months.

I don't know about best pitcher but he is consistent and throws strikes which none of our other guys can say. No walks today (2 BB in 13+ innings for the season). I really expected the O's to option him, but pleasantly surprised they gave him the start and now with the Gallardo DL he may stick around a while. I am a big Tyler Wilson fan.

He can locate 91 and change speeds. Very standard stuff for a Major League pitcher. But he's the only one who can do it.

I fixed that for you...and I apologize but I just find your handle and your line of thinking um, contradictory.

Tillman, Gausman, Brach, Britton, Bundy, McFarland.

Britton throws almost nothing, but fastballs. Failed starter. Brach usually gets three outs for a reason. McFarland location is just ok he can't really change speeds. His changeup isn't that effective and his slider isn't really that tight. Gausman doesn't have a breaking pitch and has trouble with fastball command. Tillman can't locate for crap. Bundy has barely played.

Can any other pitcher on this team locate 91 and change speeds? You know, basic major league things?

Well you say any other pitcher and then start calling folks like Britton nothing more than a failed starter. Your statement is asinine. The entire bullpen says hello.

That said, your point offering support of Wilson, well I agree, he seems to be a nugget.

But post on dude. You are on fire!

Aside from getting that pitch to Perez out over the plate Wilson didn't do too much wrong tonight. Had he been stretched out a little more he could probably have gone longer, but he hadn't pitched more than three innings for awhile. He may never be more than a 4th or 5th starter, but watching him pitch is a lot less frustrating than watching most of the guys the Orioles throw out there. Hopefully he can build on tonight.

Archived