Projecting the current rotation

ChuckS

Is this realistic?

Kevin Gausman: 3.60, 160 IP

Chris Tillman: 3.75, 200 IP

Ubaldo: 4.25, 180 IP

Wilson: 4.35, 130 IP

Wright: 5.15, 120 IP

Considering the better starters will pitch more innings this would give us a cumulative starters ERA around 4.00. While on the optimistic side I think this is very possible. We could always trade for someone in July to improve on Wright's 5 spot but he will have to do for now.

We were discussing this on the game thread last night. Partially from addition by subtraction of having Gallardo on the DL, partially due to good early performances by Gausman and Wilson (and even Wright to an extent), Tillman apparently having turned a corner, I am feeling pretty good about the pitching all of a sudden. Currently sitting #9 in MLB in ERA, #7 in runs allowed (#6 and #4 in AL). THose numbers include our bullpen, but they also include Gallardo's horrendous numbers. I am under no illusion that any of our guys are going to have an "ace" type season, but something like what we did in 2014 is within reach.

As for your predictions, I think those are realistic, perhaps even a bit conservative.

The million dollar question is what to do with Gallardo when he comes back. My fear is that they are wedded to Wright, and they will option Wilson to keep Gallardo in the rotation, and all of a sudden we will have two Bud Norris type of guys who repeatedly take us out of ball games. Wilson has earned his spot, in my opinion, and he is a great fit for this team as a guy who throws strikes and pitches to contact.

Tillman, Gausman, Jimenez, Gallardo , Wilson; in that order , best to worst until proven otherwise. Wright and Bundy readily available. That's how I see it. Your projections and optimism look right. Wilson looks real poised and competent so far.

Too early to make a decision between Wright and Wilson staying in the rotation IMO. Let it play out until Gallardo comes back.

I will not be surprised is Gausman is an ace before the year is out. He certainly has the stuff. Tillman can be a high quality #2. He was at least that in 2014.

Too early to make a decision between Wright and Wilson staying in the rotation IMO. Let it play out until Gallardo comes back.

I will not be surprised is Gausman is an ace before the year is out. He certainly has the stuff. Tillman can be a high quality #2. He was at least that in 2014.

I look forward to both of them pitching well, so we can argue which one is the ace. :)

Gausman was filthy his last start. He was ace like. Tillman's velocity is up. I'm fine with Ubaldo. Hopefully Wright and Wilson push each other with competition. Gallardo should get a rehab start soon. I think we have the rotation to have us in the mix until the trade deadline. Then there's always the dream of landing a TOR starter to win the pennant.

I am a big Mike Wright guy. So my hope is that Mike comes out and stifles the ChiSox tonight, and goes 7 strong. Hoping, and really would not be surprised. I really like what I saw from him in KC last sunday.

I really hope you're right about tonight.

Gausman was filthy his last start. He was ace like. Tillman's velocity is up. I'm fine with Ubaldo. Hopefully Wright and Wilson push each other with competition. Gallardo should get a rehab start soon. I think we have the rotation to have us in the mix until the trade deadline. Then there's always the dream of landing a TOR starter to win the pennant.

Against Tampa? Hmmm, I was at that game. I know he had 7k's but dude threw a good amount of pitches in just 5 innings (91). I know it was his first start back, but that last inning it felt like he was getting a bit unravelled.

Archived