14-9 is a 98 win pace. Nothing to be sad about there. White Sox are the only team in the AL with a better record. Red Sox are close behind.

April had a challenging schedule with only the Twins as a team that will not be in contention. O's have the best home record at 9-2. The road record is a little lower than what I would like to see 5-7 but its not terrible.

The starters are beginning to go 6 innings which will help the pen. Only Wilson did not reached that level this turn of the rotation mostly because of pitch count but he should reach that level next time out. The team doesn't miss Gallardo just yet. He is probably out until around May 20th. Gausman and Tillman look like they could have real good years if healthy.

Flaherty will be eligible to come back from AAA on May 6th. I look for that to happen because Hardy is not hitting that well and at age 33 could probably use days off. I would expect a reliever to be sent down.

Rickard has cooled but Nolan and Kim look ready to step in. Pedro is heating up as Wieters, Hardy and Schoop are very inconsistent at the plate.

Looking ahead to May. 16 games at home and 12 away helps the outlook.

The Orioles are only 14-9 because of that 7-game winning streak (which feels like ancient times now). If they are able to have a 7-game winning streak each month until the end of the season, then yes, they will be AL East Champions. It's 7-9 record outside the 7-gamer that looks like it could be more typical of their season, though.

As someone mentioned on another thread, the 7 game winning streak counts. Why discount it? It was earned and would count just as much if it were the last 7 games or somewhere in the middle or if it were four in a row the first week and three more last week. It's a part of the whole. I know what you're trying to say, though. But I agree with the OP. It was a good month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Orioles are only 14-9 because of that 7-game winning streak (which feels like ancient times now). If they are able to have a 7-game winning streak each month until the end of the season, then yes, they will be AL East Champions. It's 7-9 record outside the 7-gamer that looks like it could be more typical of their season, though.

You are unwise to categorically dismiss 7 good games or 15 bad ones for that matter. I think this first month has been both intriguing and alarming for some of the exact reasons we all knew existed.

This team can hit with power throughout the lineup.

This team can seemingly be dominated by opposing pitchers.

This team has a pretty strong bull pen.

This team has a pretty mediocre rotation.

This team is capable of playing top notch defense.

This team has Buck.

I was pleasantly surprised by the start. And not surprised that the roadswing and weather would not make it difficult to sustain. And yet, for all of the success of April, the O's have a half game lead over the Red Sux. But I think a lot of the above, many intangibles and injuries etc would have to break against the Orioles to justify your statement. 7-9 is a .466 winning percentage. I don't think that is impossible, but I think to be kind, you are simply seeing your own reflection and choosing to view it negatively.

Do not despair, young Aggie, for the journey will be long. There will be many moments of exhilaration and points of emptiness. But for the Orioles in 2016, the destiny was not reached in the first 7 games and nor was it realized in the next 16. Perhaps you simply resolve yourself to see failure. I choose to see the possibilities. I get the grey, I do, but come over to the bright side.

And enjoy the ride.

The thing is they have such a dynamic lineup that you cant imagine them being shut down by anything but great pitching. So they will feast all year long on mediocre pitching. Thats a lot of wins right there.

We haven't yet seen the offense clicking on all cylinders. When the weather heats up and we do, we'll see another long win streak. The SP looks better than expected IMO. Even Wilson and Wright look serviceable.

Archived