Millar is not a cleanup hitter

JTrea81

He is so damn impatient. He swung, first pitch with the bases loaded in the 9th and the game tied, at a down and away slider. What the hell? And he's a veteran. I like his character, I hate his game.

Millar is among the best in baseball in pitches per plate appearance. He was ninth in MLB in that category in 2007. To say he's impatient is factually incorrect.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Millar is no clean up hitter, but he is still on pase to hit 24 HR's, which is a lot better than last years clean up guy. And he is in a slump. It's always a question when a guy is in a slump weither to bench him or let him hit his way out of it. DT obviously has more patience with Kevin than OHer's do. Surprise.:rolleyes:

Millar is no clean up hitter, but he is still on pase to hit 24 HR's, which is a lot better than last years clean up guy. And he is in a slump. It's always a question when a guy is in a slump weither to bench him or let him hit his way out of it. DT obviously has more patience with Kevin than OHer's do. Surprise.:rolleyes:

Kevin Millar will not hit 24 home runs this year. He'll be lucky to hit 20. I'd be surprised if he hit 16.

BTW, Gordo. Do you approve of EVERY thing that Trembley does/says? I swear, you defend him to the death every time. If you say Millar is no clean up hitter, and that he did better than last years clean up guy, does he deserve the spot? This is a different team. Why not give it to Scott?

BTW, Gordo. Do you approve of EVERY thing that Trembley does/says? I swear, you defend him to the death every time. If you say Millar is no clean up hitter, and that he did better than last years clean up guy, does he deserve the spot? This is a different team. Why not give it to Scott?
I think he will give it to Scott if Millar continues to struggle. So far DT hasn't made any egregious errors in managing of the Perlozzo nature so I see no point in being micro critical of his every move. Particularly when his team is currently in 1st place, though it's expected to be in last. Also I am not so insecure as to need to show off on a message board how smart I think I am by denouncing DT with hyperbole and invective over moves for which reasonable people can differ. A stupid move is one for which one can find no reason. DT has good reasons for all his moves so far.

Millar is among the best in baseball in pitches per plate appearance. He was ninth in MLB in that category in 2007. To say he's impatient is factually incorrect.

He's not doing that this year though being now ranked 120th. He is impatient this year. Luke Scott, Aubrey Huff and Adam Jones are all seeing more P/PA than Millar. He's off his game and isn't an asset in the lineup right now. All he's got going for him is his defense, so like I said he's basically a Luis Hernandez to us...

There is absolutely no logical reason to keep him in the cleanup spot. Trembley is hurting the production of the lineup, namely Nick Markakis by leaving him there...

He's not doing that this year though being now ranked 120th. He is impatient this year. Luke Scott, Aubrey Huff and Adam Jones are all seeing more P/PA than Millar. He's off his game and isn't an asset in the lineup right now. All he's got going for him is his defense, so like I said he's basically a Luis Hernandez to us...

There is absolutely no logical reason to keep him in the cleanup spot. Trembley is hurting the production of the lineup, namely Nick Markakis by leaving him there...

We're not even a month in. Millar will get hot, he'll pick it up and be around his normal levels by the end of the year.

Is that good enough for cleanup? No. But it's what we've got. If this situation is hurting Nick Markakis, we should try to hurt him constantly for the entirety of this Orioles career.

We're not even a month in. Millar will get hot, he'll pick it up and be around his normal levels by the end of the year.

Is that good enough for cleanup? No. But it's what we've got.

You are kidding yourself if you think he's the only option. Teams are pitching around Markakis to get to Millar. He's hurting our best player's production. It's great Markakis is walking, but it sure would be nice if he could get something to hit. Just think at how good his #'s would be if he had a threat in the lineup behind him. Even Adam Jones is more dangerous than Kevin Millar right now...

You are kidding yourself if you think he's the only option. Teams are pitching around Markakis to get to Millar. He's hurting our best player's production. It's great Markakis is walking, but it sure would be nice if he could get something to hit. Just think at how good his #'s would be if he had a threat in the lineup behind him. Even Adam Jones is more dangerous than Kevin Millar right now...

I don't think it will remain that way. All of these guys will wind up someplace around their career norms, so I don't think you can go switching around the lineup to play the hot hand. Yeah, Nick is being pitched around, but he's also going to see more RH pitching than he would if Scott or Huff were batting behind him. Besides, those guys aren't exactly "protection" anyway.

Admittedly, Scott is a wildcard. He seems like he might be breaking out a bit, though we'll see how he does if/when he gets more starts vs. LHP.

Still, if it's a priority for Trembley to keep a RH batter at cleanup, so be it. In that case, Millar really is the only option. They aren't going to heep any more pressure on Jones this year by batting him there. Hernandez isn't a realistic option. Mora? I guess, but that would probably move Millar to the No. 2 spot.

I don't think it will remain that way. All of these guys will wind up someplace around their career norms, so I don't think you can go switching around the lineup to play the hot hand. Yeah, Nick is being pitched around, but he's also going to see more RH pitching than he would if Scott or Huff were batting behind him. Besides, those guys aren't exactly "protection" anyway.

Admittedly, Scott is a wildcard. He seems like he might be breaking out a bit, though we'll see how he does if/when he gets more starts vs. LHP.

Still, if it's a priority for Trembley to keep a RH batter at cleanup, so be it. In that case, Millar really is the only option. They aren't going to heep any more pressure on Jones this year by batting him there. Hernandez isn't a realistic option. Mora? I guess, but that would probably move Millar to the No. 2 spot.

They are more likely to walk Nick because they know MIllar will try to pull pitches on the outer half and will hit into double plays. At least Huff and Scott would have a hole on the right side to hit through with a runner on first.

I say play the hot hand of Millar, Huff, Scott, Payton, and Ramon in the 4,5 spots of the order. If you look at the statistics of the 4-5 positions in the order in losses you will find it is very telling. There are a number of games I can think of that a key hit or productive out in one of those positions would have meant a very different outcome.

Right now Millar is pressing and I think that led to him getting aggressive in that AB in the 2nd of the double header yesterday. Whereas Ramon has been hitting pretty well (4 XBH in last 5 games), and Huff has been hitting (3 XBH in last 5, and 6/16 with 5BB's). I would be batting those two in those key positions.

When they are struggling move them back in the order. In Millars case I would even go as far as to move him to #9 in the order, tell him that his job is to get on base and turn over the order late in the game. I think he would respond well to that.

They are more likely to walk Nick because they know MIllar will try to pull pitches on the outer half and will hit into double plays. At least Huff and Scott would have a hole on the right side to hit through with a runner on first.

Millar doesn't ground into double plays any more often than Huff or Scott even though the lefties have that hole to shoot for.

Does the widened 1B hole provided for Huff/Scott outweigh the platoon advantage created by having hitters from alternating sides of the plate? I don't think you set up a lineup to take advantage of the holding-runners-on hole at 1B, especially with guys like Huff or Scott, who aren't placement hitters anyway.

He's not a cleanup hitter...we knew this coming into the season.

Why is anyone acting surprised?

Finally...on the 88th post...sanity has prevailed! :D

It's a bird...it's a plane...no...it's Moose Milligan to save the day!

I can't believe there are 88 posts to point out the blatantly obvious. Yes, Millar is no cleanup hitter. Yes, we know Hernandez and Fahey are not Major League shortstops.

Wow...sometimes, I just wonder! :rolleyes:

Also...I realize that I did just enter into this nonsensical thread. I also realize that I don't have to read it.

Archived