Millar is not a cleanup hitter

JTrea81

It's time to move Millar down in the order. He now has a .694 OPS which now puts him at a ranking of 19 out of 21 regular cleanup hitters. His ISOP of .160 also ranks him 19th. He's not getting the job done and it's time to give somebody else - aka Luke Scott or Nick Markakis a chance making the other the #3 hitter. Trembley's stuck with him long enough. When the bases are loaded, you've got to get at least one run in at the #4 spot...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=112&league=mlb&season=2008&seasonType=2&sort=OPS&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=all

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes Millar is not your prototypical cleanup hitter, he has come through several times this year, and im sure most people praised him for it. It happens, players go through troughs and peaks...

He's not even your prototypical everyday player. He should be playing 2/3 to 3/4 of the time at most and batting 6th at the highest.

Baseball is a "what have you done for me lately" sport. If he had at least 2 hit and an rbi for 10 straight games, everyone would say keep him in. He goes through a few bad games, and we want to crucify him. This ain't burger king...you can't have it your way :D

He's not even your prototypical everyday player. He should be playing 2/3 to 3/4 of the time at most and batting 6th at the highest.

I agree i think #5 is a perfect spot for Jones, but the lack of speed in the top of our order would be my one cause for concern.

Patience is more important than speed. If you put a free swinger in the #2 hole you neutralize the speed of your leadoff hitter, not to mention that you have a guy with a fairly low OBP ahead of the guys most likely to hit homers.

Baseball is a "what have you done for me lately" sport. If he had at least 2 hit and an rbi for 10 straight games, everyone would say keep him in. He goes through a few bad games, and we want to crucify him. This ain't burger king...you can't have it your way :D

Millar has never been a cleanup hitter, and many of us on here have been complaining that he's getting too much playing time for the past two years. I don't care if he has a few lucky streaks, he's not a cleanup hitter. Ever. Period. :rolleyes:

It's not just a few bad games.

Millar is hitting .227 with RISP, the worst on the team except for Adam Jones who is basically a rookie.

In comparison Ramon Hernandez is hitting .385 with RISP

Luke Scott is 3rd with a .333 BA and 1st in OPS with 1.140. Kevin Millar has a .755 OPS with RISP.

Archived