Millar is not a cleanup hitter

JTrea81

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's time to move Millar down in the order. He now has a .694 OPS which now puts him at a ranking of 19 out of 21 regular cleanup hitters. His ISOP of .160 also ranks him 19th. He's not getting the job done and it's time to give somebody else - aka Luke Scott or Nick Markakis a chance making the other the #3 hitter. Trembley's stuck with him long enough. When the bases are loaded, you've got to get at least one run in at the #4 spot...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting?split=112&league=mlb&season=2008&seasonType=2&sort=OPS&type=reg&ageMin=17&ageMax=51&state=0&college=0&country=0&hand=a&pos=all

i couldnt agree with you more. i love millar--but he should be batting 5th or 6th...

Still making this complaint?

When are people gonna realize that we don't have a cleanup hitter. Whoever we put there will be inadequate. Putting Scott of Huff there won't transform us to the 27 Yankees. And its not like Nick is having a hard time hitting in front of Millar.

When is Trembley finally going to realize Millar should not be our cleanup hitter? One "good" AB per game isn't going to cut it when you leave 5 men on base, by popping up with the bases loaded or GIDP

Only two factors are keeping him there: 1) there is no one else to take his spot and allow him to be benched and 2) if you move him down, you'll have 4 of the first 5 hitters being lefthanded (BRob is darn near a left handed hitter).

Other than that, I think he'd have been moved down weeks ago.

When are people gonna realize that we don't have a cleanup hitter. Whoever we put there will be inadequate. Putting Scott of Huff there won't transform us to the 27 Yankees. And its not like Nick is having a hard time hitting in front of Millar.

He definitely gets fewer pitches to hit, there's no question about that.

Yes I'm still making this complaint...why do you care?

Who cares if Millar is our best righty...put Scott at cleanup because at least he'll hit for a decent average. You can't have a .230 hitter hitting cleanup.

Yes I'm still making this complaint...why do you care?

Who cares if Millar is our best righty...put Scott at cleanup because at least he'll hit for a decent average. You can't have a .230 hitter hitting cleanup.

Millar != .230 hitter

Its been 3 weeks so far, he may be struggling, but he's a solid bat, at least overall (not compared to other 1B). Scott's probably a bit better and certainly has more power.

But what's the real difference. Who is in the lineup matters a lot more than where they bat. Flipping Scott and Millar wouldn't result in any drastic changes to the team.

Millar != .230 hitter

Its been 3 weeks so far, he may be struggling, but he's a solid bat, at least overall (not compared to other 1B). Scott's probably a bit better and certainly has more power.

But what's the real difference. Who is in the lineup matters a lot more than where they bat. Flipping Scott and Millar wouldn't result in any drastic changes to the team.

It might allow teams not to pitch around Markakis which is what they are doing now. Scott is more of a threat because of his power than Millar is. His OPS with RISP leads the team. Giving Markakis better pitches to hit would definitely help the team.

The Orioles absolutekly have to go out and get a RH hitter, even a platooner, they can bat 4th. Frank Thomas might be finished and Oakland can have him. But that's the kind of guy I'd want to Orioles to pick up provided they don't have to trade off any of their pitching.

The Orioles absolutekly have to go out and get a RH hitter, even a platooner, they can bat 4th. Frank Thomas might be finished and Oakland can have him. But that's the kind of guy I'd want to Orioles to pick up provided they don't have to trade off any of their pitching.

Luke Scott can hit LHP though, it's not like you have to have a RH batter batting behind Markakis if he can hit LHP.

Jason Botts...Ryan Sheeley...guys like that. Sheeley's hitting terribly in triple-A right now, but was pretty decent a couple of yrs. ago before he got hurt.

You could probably get Sheeley for a Terrero, Eider Torres, Aquino...somebody like that.Botts isn't playing in Tx.I doubt if he'd cost you that much, either.

Just sitting there all year w/this same lineup is stupid. It's loaded with declining veterans who simply aren't that good and will never get better.And there's nothing in the minors right now.Try something different.

Archived