Do you think it will last?

But through a month this season, neither Orioles catcher is producing at the level the team expected. When Joseph took an 0-for-4 against the New York Yankees in the Orioles 7-0 loss Wednesday at Camden Yards, he dropped to .189/.268/.217. Wieters is batting .217/.288/.300.

Together, the pair?s .557 OPS ranks the Orioles catching corps 22nd-best in the majors, according to Baseball Reference. Last year, they ranked eighth with a .732 OPS, 50 points above the league average at the position. That was the high-water mark after coming in 15th (.678) in 2014 and 17th (.688) in 2013.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-catchers-not-producing-near-career-levels-so-far-contributing-to-inconsistent-offense-20160505-story.html

But through a month this season, neither Orioles catcher is producing at the level the team expected. When Joseph took an 0-for-4 against the New York Yankees in the Orioles 7-0 loss Wednesday at Camden Yards, he dropped to .189/.268/.217. Wieters is batting .217/.288/.300.

Together, the pair?s .557 OPS ranks the Orioles catching corps 22nd-best in the majors, according to Baseball Reference. Last year, they ranked eighth with a .732 OPS, 50 points above the league average at the position. That was the high-water mark after coming in 15th (.678) in 2014 and 17th (.688) in 2013.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-orioles-catchers-not-producing-near-career-levels-so-far-contributing-to-inconsistent-offense-20160505-story.html

I have been very disappointed with Joseph. Yeah his hitting is down which is a bit of a concern put he has not played well defense either. I know the stealing numbers are not going to be great with catching Ubaldo but his throws have tailed to the right a great deal still with the other pitchers.

Unfortunately. I do.

Wieters will never hit. I wish he never took the qualifying offer. What a waste of a spot in the lineup

As Tony said at the Hangout Night Presser, Wieters accepting after the Orioles continued to spend ended up not being as big a deal as it originally was.

Wieters will never hit. I wish he never took the qualifying offer. What a waste of a spot in the lineup

And...Caleb is much better at the plate right now? Who would the backup to Caleb unperforming at the plate be?

As Tony said at the Hangout Night Presser, Wieters accepting after the Orioles continued to spend ended up not being as big a deal as it originally was.

Well, he is clogging up a roster spot, we didn't get the draft pick and now he's not performing so at the end of the season (unless he turns it around), we're going to be without a pick from him. So essentially a big bag of meh.

Well, he is clogging up a roster spot, we didn't get the draft pick and now he's not performing so at the end of the season (unless he turns it around), we're going to be without a pick from him. So essentially a big bag of meh.

He certainly did not heartily endorse the move. There are always two catchers though. I wanted the draft pick. If we had not offered the qualifying and he had left, we would not have gotten the pick either.

How's he clogging a roster spot? Is a better player waiting in AAA because of him?

Archived