Trumbo history

zkoutdoors

I've seen plenty of posts about how his hot start isn't an indication of what type of player he is and how there he will regress back to his former self. Are his career stats that bad? In his average full seasons (over 500 ABs) in MLB he is hitting 29 HRs and knocking in 85 runs. His career batting average is .254.

What Os outfielder not named Adam Jones has numbers close to that in the last decade?

And you can say all you want about his defense, but as an all-around player, he is helping this team tremendously. Take out his HRs, RBIs and timely hits and what would the record be so far this season. I don't need WAR calculations to see he's helped us more than all of our "stars" with the possible except of Manny.

I'm not saying we should sign him if the price isn't right, but quit acting like he's not a good player. Sure beats running out De Aza, Snider, Lough, etc...

The Mariners jumped at the chance to dump him for salary relief.

He was not very good the past few years. A regression back to his career averages would be a pretty massive regression from where he is now, and by then we will have likely soured on him a bit.

Personally, I think this will be a career year for him. A very good one, but that should not be used as an indicator of future performance.

It really depends on how the Orioles see his defense. If they think he can be passable as a corner outfielder, then sure, I'd sign him for 3 years as a primary DH who gets a good number of inning in the outfield.

But if he is really hurting us defensively (IMHO the sample size is too small for us to know) you offer him the QO and be happy with the draft pick.

I really think its the lineup he has around him that is giving him this kind of year. Thats why he should sign and stay here.

The team with the most need for him will offer the most money. The O's have CD, Walker, Mancini, Kim, as potential 1B/DH we don't need him that much. We have a greater need for an OF like Rasmus or Riddick.

It's May 12. Let's see if Roy and some others are clamoring for resigning him to a multi year contract on October 12.

I think this makes the most sense. This season vs. his previous seasons with Seattle and Arizona? You're dealing with a very small sample size.

The age old stats vs being a human argument. Maybe there really is something to this clubhouse thing. Plus Machado, Davis and Trumbo are all pushing each other. I'm not greedy. Give me a career year and some playoff games. We'll argue at the end of the year on whether it was the ballpark, Buck, or hitting in a great lineup.

RZNJ - If you read my original post, you could see I never said he's going to continue this offensive output for the year or the rest of his career. I said that his career is a lot better than people are giving him credit for and showed the offensive stats to back that up.

I've seen the "The past five years have shown us who he is" posts plenty already. Funny that Os fans are looking down on a lifetime .250 hitter who averages just under 30 homers and a 85 RBIs for his career. If he does that this year we should be happy.

Like I said, let me know who we have had better over the same time period except Jones.

I also didn't say they need to re-sign him. My point was he's been a good player and has been a great player so far this year, but many on here are still complaining about him.

Obviously the lineup helps him. You don't think it also helps Manny, Jones and Davis? Playing in Oriole Park in that lineup would keep Trumbo being a valuable player if he is re-signed for the next few years.

RZNJ - If you read my original post, you could see I never said he's going to continue this offensive output for the year or the rest of his career. I said that his career is a lot better than people are giving him credit for and showed the offensive stats to back that up.

I've seen the "The past five years have shown us who he is" posts plenty already. Funny that Os fans are looking down on a lifetime .250 hitter who averages just under 30 homers and a 85 RBIs for his career. If he does that this year we should be happy.

Like I said, let me know who we have had better over the same time period except Jones.

I also didn't say they need to re-sign him. My point was he's been a good player and has been a great player so far this year, but many on here are still complaining about him.

Obviously the lineup helps him. You don't think it also helps Manny, Jones and Davis? Playing in Oriole Park in that lineup would keep Trumbo being a valuable player if he is re-signed for the next few years.

Funny enough, he actually has more HR on the road (7) than he does at home (4) to date.

Mark Trumbo - 32 homers and 98 RBI

Chris Carter - 34 homers and 87 RBI

Pedro Alvarez - 28 homers and 86 RBI

Those are career averages over 162 games. Chris Carter is making 2.5M this year. Alvarez is making 5.9M this year. Your argument for Trumbo is that is production is valuable. If you want to believe that Trumbo is helped by the park and the lineup and that's why he's going so well (while ignoring the .962 1st half OPS in 2012) fine. I am skeptical and history supports that skepticism.

People said the same thing about Cruz when we didn't resign him...

true, but still funny, everybody talked about the long ball threat he would provide in OPACY and his home ratio is better on the road.

Yea. I know what you mean. I'm sure there are some national medi folks ready to push the narrative that his hot start is solely a function of OPACY (TBS thinks the 2014 Tigers would have hit 300 homers if they played their home games in charm city).

Archived