What an absolutely massive victory

Barnaby Graves

The Orioles' three best pitchers are the only way to equal a modern legend like Verlander, who was simply outstanding tonight. But Tillman, O'Day, and Britton all did their jobs and looked damn tough doing it. And the Orioles got exactly what they needed out of a guy who was pretty maligned about a week ago. That game went like it was scripted, and the Orioles did everything they could to look like they deserve a six game win streak.

I think it's interesting how similarly Verlander and Tillman seemed to pitch. Tillman is a completely different pitcher thanks to his renewed velocity. It was incredible to see him attack Cabrera directly with his fastball. A real balls-on-the-table move. Both guys had great curveballs tonight, too. I saw a lot of coming across the plate with outside belt-high fastballs, trying to get guys to chase.

Very fun and interesting team to watch overall.

The Orioles' three best pitchers are the only way to equal a modern legend like Verlander, who was simply outstanding tonight. But Tillman, O'Day, and Britton all did their jobs and looked damn tough doing it. And the Orioles got exactly what they needed out of a guy who was pretty maligned about a week ago. That game went like it was scripted, and the Orioles did everything they could to look like they deserve a six game win streak.

I think it's interesting how similarly Verlander and Tillman seemed to pitch. Tillman is a completely different pitcher thanks to his renewed velocity. It was incredible to see him attack Cabrera directly with his fastball. A real balls-on-the-table move. Both guys had great curveballs tonight, too. I saw a lot of coming across the plate with outside belt-high fastballs, trying to get guys to chase.

Very fun and interesting team to watch overall.

Not outstanding enough. Dude got rung up with #4 tonite.

I think we need to caution ourselves about Adam, the analytics will tell us he's replacement level so far, those posts should be coming soon.

Huh? I don't think anybody needs analytics to know that Adam has been scuffling so far. But he has been a 4-ish win player the last several years and should regress to the mean.

Chip on shoulder? Enjoy the win. No one needed analytics to know that he was off to a slow start and there were certainly threads that questioned if he was healthy or not. He is certainly putting most of those worries to rest.

Of course, I'm only kidding! Well sort of:)

I dont know for sure if he will keep it up all year, he may well not. Pitchers go through peaks and valleys.I do know this. Chris Tillman is pitching consistently well and even dominating.He is the closest thing we have as an ACE, and one more thing.

Theres a whole bunch of teams who would call him their ACE and would be thrilled to have him.

One of those teams we see next week.The Angels.Chris grew up about a half a mile from the stadium in Anaheim.

Dontcha think they would LOVE to have him?

Chris has had a decent slider and his good curve for a while now. Consistently every start. Match that with whatever FB he has on any given night and he can a) get by without his best stuff or b) Dominate. Tilly is is dialed in. If he's not an "ace" I'm glad he's ours.

What a great game! I'm sorry that I was not at OPACy to cheer Tilly and the O's and Adam Jones on. Plus I missed the fireworks show. Tilly was fabulous, dominating those Tigers' hitters.

You're a SLACKER McFly!

I'm really buying into that Tillman was hurt last year. He looks completely different.

I... I don't know how hurt he was last year. I'm sure some at least. But this year..... Last year he dialed his curve in about 1 out of 4 starts. Slider was... Tillman throws a slider???

This year he seems to have found a couple somethings. He drops his deuce any time he wants. Might take an inning or two to dial it in. Mostly not. His slider has gone from less than nothing to a real effective pitch. Mid-change of speed.

I'm really buying into that Tillman was hurt last year. He looks completely different.

I suspect that he came into Spring Training way out of shape for the first time in his career, and it showed with his (overall) sub-par season, especially in his really bad start to said season.

Archived