Trembley calls out "idiots"

blueberryale77

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He went into quite some detail.

Yeah, but I mean, he didn't actually go out and do it, right?

It's like 2 guys in the stands talking about how funny it would be to jump onto the field and run around while security chased them around. It's crossing the line if they actually do it.

Nah, I'm done. I'm just playing games now. But you're right, it isn't cool to shine the magnifying glass on the anthill just because you can. I'll stop...

Just one of those situations where people are very polarized on the issue, obviously. And when you get people diametrically opposed to any concept, the civility decreases at an exponential, and alarming, rate, without cooler heads trying to prevail.

Jim,

I told him he was acting ridiculous. I didn't say he was ridiculous. Big difference. Criticizing an action vs personal attack

And I stand by the fact that it doesn't matter if it was two hours later when he gave the quote. The anger was still palpable, I'm sure. If Trembley actually pursued those guys, it would have been too much. But he wasn't saying anything that most of us weren't thinking. I'm not going to come down on him for answering a question honestly. I honestly would want those guys to take a few shots for that or a BIG fine or time in jail. I believe these sorts of things warrant clear punishment.

But I do think you're expressing your points very well unlike our friend, Mr. Puck. ;)

Like I said, each is entitled to their opinion. But it's not as if rational people couldn't agree with Puck.

Put it this way: I got jumped by four kids in a gang initiation in Chicago. Now, this happens occasionally on the South Side and it's a fact of life. When a group of four teenagers comes into contact with a lone guy walking on the street there's going to be a palpable fear.

Say they surround me and taunt me threateningly. Now...it's entirely possible they're looking to jump me. It's entirely possible they're just screwing with me.

At that moment, I'd likely be justified in using force in return, pre-emptively. But hours later, if I was testifying to a desire to "get them alone" and "beat them" individually that would be an entirely different matter - to me, at least.

If/when it turns out that it was individuals with no intent to do real harm, the residual desire to do them harm speaks to a generalizing instinct on Trembley's part that a lot of us find distasteful. That you don't is your prerogative. No worries.

But this thread has been any number of folks piling on Puck for the point I made above. In fact, it's a civilized point. Generally, in the U.S., we don't punish individuals for the crimes of others. No matter the deterrent effect.

Is it possible to agree with Trembley's reaction given his position, and with the drunk guys for running across the field? Cause that's my stance.

Trembley is the kind of passionate manager who instills confidence in his players and will stand up for them. That must be comforting.

At the same time, you've got to support drunk people doing funny things, especially when there's no escaping the legal consequences and they have no violent intentions.

Archived