Duquette Run Is Over

FSUBobcat7

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The staring pitching now has a collective ERA of over 5. It's been bad for nearly a month.

It's not just the starting pitching either. It's about time folks quit with the talk of the O's "elite bullpen." They have an elite closer, and a couple of very good set-up men. That doesn't an elite bullpen make. They have no reliable long man out of the pen (if they did, he would be starting). They have no effective LH reliever to get tough lefties out. The reality is that the O's just don't have enough pitching to really compete, period. With their explosive offense they are never out of any games, and will win their share of them, probably enough to be in the discussion in September. But the playoffs are a long shot and advancing in the playoffs is just about impossible with this kind of pitching staff.

It's not just the starting pitching either. It's about time folks quit with the talk of the O's "elite bullpen." They have an elite closer, and a couple of very good set-up men. That doesn't an elite bullpen make. They have no reliable long man out of the pen (if they did, he would be starting). They have no effective LH reliever to get tough lefties out. The reality is that the O's just don't have enough pitching to really compete, period. With their explosive offense they are never out of any games, and will win their share of them, probably enough to be in the discussion in September. But the playoffs are a long shot and advancing in the playoffs is just about impossible with this kind of pitching staff.

Brad Brach, Zach Britton and O'Day before he got hurt.

Givens is ridiculously good against righties.

The rest of the bullpen is meh central. O'Day gone is a huge hole. It's not like this team can keep trotting out there crap starting pitching after crap starting pitching and hoping the bullpen can lock it down.

Orioles have to grow the arms, only problem is Duquette has given away most of the saplings. Best hope is Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo and Wilson can hold down the fort.

Gunkel, anyone? He's good, just has gotten 0 run support. We have guys in the minors who pitch to contact (Chris Lee, David Hess) who could be something, they just need to walk less batters

Orioles have to grow the arms, only problem is Duquette has given away most of the saplings. Best hope is Tillman, Gausman, Gallardo and Wilson can hold down the fort.

A rotation of Arrieta, Tillman, E-Rod, Gausman and Chen would look fantastic right now. I know, I know.

Gunkel, anyone? He's good, just has gotten 0 run support. We have guys in the minors who pitch to contact (Chris Lee, David Hess) who could be something, they just need to walk less batters

I don't think that Gunkel is quite ready for the jump to the Majors yet.

He's just starting to pitch well at the AAA level after several bad outings previously ...... and this is his first season at the AAA level.

He's not on the 40-man roster and I'm glad that he isn't, because I think that Gunkel has a good chance to be a solid Major League pitcher someday ...... just not right now.

He's just starting to pitch well at the AAA level after several bad outings previously ...... and this is his first season at the AAA level.

He's not on the 40-man roster and I'm glad that he isn't, because I think that Gunkel has a good chance to be a solid Major League pitcher someday ...... just not right now.

I would agree with that as well, my point being that help isn't that far off

Sent from Neverneverland using James Hetfield's voice

How come guys like lee and Hess haven't been promoted to AAA? Is it just due to the lack of K's and K/BB ratio?

Brad Brach, Zach Britton and O'Day before he got hurt.

Givens is ridiculously good against righties.

The rest of the bullpen is meh central. O'Day gone is a huge hole. It's not like this team can keep trotting out there crap starting pitching after crap starting pitching and hoping the bullpen can lock it down.

So our 5th 6th and 7th best relievers are "meh".

What team has really great guys in those slots?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is what I worry about Gunkel:

2013: 14.1 SO/9 in 20 1/3 IP

2014: 8.8 SO/9 in 103 2/3 IP

2015: 7.0 SO/9 in 144 2/3 IP

2016: 5.8 SO/9 in 59 IP

His minor league strikeout rate is 7.8 and dropping. However, I do dig his walk rate. It is very, very good (1.8)...and it's never really spiked.

Know whose numbers that reminds me of?

Tyler Wilson.

Minors: 7.8 SO/9, 2.2 BB/9.

He saw his SO rate dip across leagues. 8.4, 7.8, 7.1 from A up to AAA. Last year he had a 6.0 in AAA.

I don't know how well that plays. But he might be a back of the rotation guy. I'd be inclined to say better than Ubaldo.

This is what I worry about Gunkel:

2013: 14.1 SO/9 in 20 1/3 IP

2014: 8.8 SO/9 in 103 2/3 IP

2015: 7.0 SO/9 in 144 2/3 IP

2016: 5.8 SO/9 in 59 IP

His minor league strikeout rate is 7.8 and dropping. However, I do dig his walk rate. It is very, very good (1.8)...and it's never really spiked.

Know whose numbers that reminds me of?

Tyler Wilson.

Minors: 7.8 SO/9, 2.2 BB/9.

He saw his SO rate dip across leagues. 8.4, 7.8, 7.1 from A up to AAA. Last year he had a 6.0 in AAA.

I don't know how well that plays. But he might be a back of the rotation guy. I'd be inclined to say better than Ubaldo.

I would too. I think he's just pitching more to contact and letting the defense take care of it instead of trying to overpower everyone. Doesn't work well in Norfolk to do who is there, but I digress

So our 5th 6th and 7th best relievers are "meh".

What team has really great guys in those slots?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This isn't about other teams, is it?

It's about the Orioles terrible starting pitching...and that the Orioles don't have a way to bridge consistent 4-5 IP appearances of 4 ER+ allowed with reliable bullpen arms...especially now that O'Day is gone. It's now Britton, Brach, Givens in appropriate scenarios. And hoping/praying that Duensing can turn into something against lefties. Because Worley, McFarland and especially Bundy can't be counted on to be rockstars.

Archived