Tom Verducci On Ubaldo Jimenez: 'It's A Sunk Cost

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing that Ubaldo might get 1 or 2 more starts. It's truly a shame, because he seems like a good guy.

That Boston start was just a killer. He looked great then things just came unraveled. I think his confidence is just shot right now and I genuinely feel bad for the guy.

Just get the feeling it will be one of those things where he gets released takes a year out of the majors, shows back up in Oakland and is a top of the rotation arm again.

That Boston start was just a killer. He looked great then things just came unraveled. I think his confidence is just shot right now and I genuinely feel bad for the guy.

Just get the feeling it will be one of those things where he gets released takes a year out of the majors, shows back up in Oakland and is a top of the rotation arm again.

I thought he had a very hot hitting Boston team in check for 5 innings.

I am curious on how he looks the next time out of the gate.

It's pretty simple but it's not. If he keeps the ball down and throws strikes he'll be very good. He just has trouble doing both things consistently.

Yup...and he's ALWAYS had these issues. As Verducci points out, those things don't get any easier as you get older, either.

Yup...and he's ALWAYS had these issues. As Verducci points out, those things don't get any easier as you get older, either.

He was pretty good last year. 4.11 ERA, just a tick above league average. I would say he has ALWAYS had issues with command, but SOMETIMES has been able to manage them.

He showed a little something last time. If he can do it again, he could save his job. If he does it enough, he could stay in the rotation for quite some time. It's not like we have great alternatives. Verducci doesn't see things getting better but they got better after a terrible 2014. He's the same guy who put up a 2.81 ERA in the first half last year. I can't stand watching him pitch but he could put it together again. If he does, I'd trade him in the offseason which is something I advocated after last year. Not saying there was a team out there willing to bite.

I was encouraged by his last start. He was a victim of his own previous failures. Wasn't used to being in the game that long and especially against a team like the Red Sox. He's going to have to face some tough lineups. Buck just needs to keep an eye on him tiring and have a quick hook until he proves otherwise. We have the arms in the pen to pull him after 4. Ubaldo just has to throw strikes and let our IF defense make plays for him.

His mechanics just blow. I'm not sure whoever taught him that herky jerky crap but it's already hard enough to throw a baseball at a target the size of a breadbox in a regular way. Every time I watch him pitch I'm amazed that he can get the ball in the same zip code.

It's worked for some, it hasn't worked for him. I'm assuming it falls apart for him due to the fact that he can't repeat it that well and it's no wonder why.

I feel bad for the guy, he's a good dude and I think he's a hard worker too. Just sucks that it's coming down to this.

That makes no sense. Pitching down and throwing strikes has nothing to do with age...now velocity is another thing

That makes no sense. Pitching down and throwing strikes has nothing to do with age...now velocity is another thing

Did you read the article? Verducci points out that you lose some of the athleticism that you have as a younger player, which makes it a bit more difficult to keep your mechanics.

I guess it may not be true, but I think it could make some sense if your mechanics are horrible to begin with.

His mechanics just blow. I'm not sure whoever taught him that herky jerky crap but it's already hard enough to throw a baseball at a target the size of a breadbox in a regular way. Every time I watch him pitch I'm amazed that he can get the ball in the same zip code.

It's worked for some, it hasn't worked for him. I'm assuming it falls apart for him due to the fact that he can't repeat it that well and it's no wonder why.

I feel bad for the guy, he's a good dude and I think he's a hard worker too. Just sucks that it's coming down to this.

I think Luis taught Ubaldo.

Ubaldo seems like a nice guy, but he needs to be the guy in the R rated movie that no one is really sure they like yet, not the guy in the PG-13 movie everyone is pulling for to make it happen. He needs to be a big bear. With fangs and claws.

He's so money and the doesn't even know it.

Archived