4/29 Rays at O's: battle for first place

PaulFolk

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems to me that you are agreeing with my post although going into more detail. The post I quoted was the one that you (and I) had a disagreement with. As an infielder, I would also say it's not at all simple and that it requires a lot of practice/chemistry between the players. The thing is, Orioles have consistently struggled with this in recent years. It's something that seems to affect them once every few games, and all three starting outfielders plus Payton and all four starting infielders have been involved in such plays already this year. That's too many. They need more work on it.

Correct. Just supplementing your response with my experience.

They definitely need more work. Jones is new to the team and very young so he needs some more reps.

I just thought I'd say that this is a great job explaining the situation and that srock is right that it isn't nearly as simple as some would seem to want to make it. A ball in that spot, with players coming at that speed and distance, is going to fall for a base hit a fairly large percentage of the time. It was a tough play all around.

I didn't even mention Roberts worrying about getting T-Boned by Adam Jones. :cool:

So, it looked to you like nobody called it?

Nobody called for it. Roberts got the closest to it (it didn't actually hit off his glove but it was very close) but was running straight away from the infield. Jones was only a few steps away. As usual, Roberts looked like he didn't have a great read on the ball and wanted to be called off, but instead of somehow signaling that to the outfielder he continued to go after it tentatively. If Jones had called him off and run in hard he probably would have had the best angle on the ball. Markakis was in the vicinity as well.

Nobody called for it. Roberts got the closest to it (it didn't actually hit off his glove but it was very close) but was running straight away from the infield. Jones was only a few steps away. As usual, Roberts looked like he didn't have a great read on the ball and wanted to be called off, but instead of somehow signaling that to the outfielder he continued to go after it tentatively. If Jones had called him off and run in hard he probably would have had the best angle on the ball. Markakis was in the vicinity as well.

You are right about this; it is definitely a weakness in his game.

I just thought I'd say that this is a great job explaining the situation and that srock is right that it isn't nearly as simple as some would seem to want to make it. A ball in that spot, with players coming at that speed and distance, is going to fall for a base hit a fairly large percentage of the time. It was a tough play all around.

I agree about his excellent description. I wasn't trying to make the *play* sound easy. (I can't even see the dang game, because TB is only a 3-day sail from here.) I was just talking about the communication part of it, about how there's a clear pecking order... it's not a committee meeting. That's all I meant.

Archived