Fix the SP, and you have a Playoff team

21xxxv

Rumor is the O's are interested in him. Supposedly it would take three young players to land him. Do we have the pieces? Who would do you think it would take, and would you be willing to give them up?

Honestly I doubt the Orioles have enough prospects to get him. He isn't a free agent until 2019. He does hit arbitration next year so he does start to get expensive but not prohibitively so.

If there is a bidding war for him I think the Orioles could offer the entire farm system and still get outbid. We don't have the blue chipper (think Jones or Tillman we got back for Bedard) to put in the deal.

Mabye if we take on a bad contract like Kemp it could happen. Or even the $1.6 + $400k buyout on...*gasp*...FERNANDO RODNEY is a Padre?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Matt Kemp is not as good as he appeared against our pitching. Plus like you pointed out, he's owed a lot of money.

He is OPS'ing 1.098 vs LHP this year (.945 career) so we could make use of him. It would be a brutal contract to take on, but he isn't a useless player.

Pomeranz and Kemp for:

Mancini

Harvey

+2 B prospects?

Is that enough even if we take ALL of Kemp's contract? That depends on how San Diego values talent vs. money I guess.

He is OPS'ing 1.098 vs LHP this year (.945 career) so we could make use of him. It would be a brutal contract to take on, but he isn't a useless player.

Pomeranz and Kemp for:

Mancini

Harvey

+2 B prospects?

Is that enough even if we take ALL of Kemp's contract? That depends on how San Diego values talent vs. money I guess.

I hate to give up Harvey, and I know there is a chance he will be a bust, but, what if, he isn't a bust?

I hate to give up Harvey, and I know there is a chance he will be a bust, but, what if, he isn't a bust?

You got give up some talent to get someone like Pomeranz. They guy is 27, southpaw, 6-6 240 lbs, underpaid, and his ERA+ 159, 108, 130 (so far 2016).

Thin pitching market now and in upcoming free agency. Everybody is going to offer on this guy.

You got give up some talent to get someone like Pomeranz. They guy is 27, southpaw, 6-6 240 lbs, underpaid, and his ERA+ 159, 108, 130 (so far 2016).

Thin pitching market now and in upcoming free agency. Everybody is going to offer on this guy.

I understand that part, and you are right, but I am just plain tired of the other posters whining about Jake, Davis and Ed Rod, can't take anymore Orioles pitchers dealt and fare well elsewhere.

I understand that part, and you are right, but I am just plain tired of the other posters whining about Jake, Davis and Ed Rod, can't take anymore Orioles pitchers dealt and fare well elsewhere.

I'm not sure give up this much for him. I'm just saying this is the type of offer its going to take.

Even then other teams can easily outbid, if they so desire.

Sorry I edited your post, hit the edit instead of Reply button.

I'm not sure give up this much for him. I'm just saying this is the type of offer its going to take.

Even then other teams can easily outbid, if they so desire.

Sorry I edited your post, hit the edit instead of Reply button.

No worries over the small stuff! :)

The thesis of the thread title isn't exactly news. Sure, fix the starting pitching and you have a playoff team. That statement does nothing constructive to tell us how the heck to fix it. I am sure Dan Duquette is working very hard to try to figure out how he can get a meaningful upgrade at a cost (in terms of players traded back) that we can afford. But it's going to be really tough, because we certainly won't be the only team looking for starting pitchers. My fear is that we will overpay for mediocrity that really isn't much of an upgrade at all.

The thesis of the thread title isn't exactly news. Sure, fix the starting pitching and you have a playoff team. That statement does nothing constructive to tell us how the heck to fix it. I am sure Dan Duquette is working very hard to try to figure out how he can get a meaningful upgrade at a cost (in terms of players traded back) that we can afford. But it's going to be really tough, because we certainly won't be the only team looking for starting pitchers. My fear is that we will overpay for mediocrity that really isn't much of an upgrade at all.

If my aunt had balls ......

If my aunt had balls ......

Or better yet:

Many last-place teams are just 2 players away from being a contender ...... Koufax and Mays.

Pomeranz and Kemp for:

Mancini

Harvey

+2 B prospects?

If you evaluate the James Shields trade you may be on to something.

Archived