The Sting of Losing Winnable Games

OFFNY

Losing winnable games is the worst. Britton is out and it's clear that we need him back. With that being said I try to keep telling myself that we stole one from them on Tuesday night...and that doesn't make it much better. Giving up 5 runs in two innings is just a brutal way to lose

11 minutes ago, weams said:

I hate one-run losses.

o

I can stomach a certain amount of 1-run losses.

What is particularly hard to stomach are losses when you are up by a score of 9-1 in the 6th inning, and/or 6-2 heading into the 8th inning.

But I suppose the same can be said for other teams like the Nationals, who blew a 4-1 lead heading into the 8th inning the night before the Orioles returned the favor to them. And even the Yankees, who had the winning run on 3rd base with less than 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th inning against us, and failed to plate said run and complete the sweep.

o

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, weams said:

I hate one-run losses.

3 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

I can stomach a certain amount of 1-run losses.

What is particularly hard to stomach are losses when you are up by a score of 9-1 in the 6th inning, and/or 6-2 heading into the 8th inning.

But I suppose the same can be said for other teams like the Nationals, who blew a 4-1 lead heading into the 8th inning the night before the Orioles returned the favor to them. And even the Yankees, who had the winning run on 3rd base with less than 2 outs in the bottom of the 10th inning against us, and failed to plate said run and complete the sweep.

o

o

Like today.

It wasn't so much the 1-run loss that burns, but rather the 5-0 lead that the Orioles blew in the process.

o

2 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

When is the last time the Orioles had a 4-game losing streak where in each of the losses the losing pitcher was a reliever? You might have to go back to before 2012.

I'm not sure, but I do remember losing on three straight walk offs in an August series in Arizona in 2013. 

Today was the worst loss since the NY implosion.  Partly because the Nats loss came after we had already won 2,   today's loss was to try to keep from being swept and we had it, then almost came all the way back.  Very draining and demoralizing that then tends to bleed over into the next series. 

20 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

I can also name 5 one games where they should have lost.The thing I have noticed this year more then most Buck years are mental errors Some have been overlooked by the fast start but many mental errors 

We are blowing fundamentals like covering bases...

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was the problem they didn't cover the base or that Manny forgot which play was being run?

I don't know. But I do know that throwing to a base with no one on your team anywhere near there is not becoming of a golden glover. Or a platinum glover. LOL. 

Also we have pitchers not covering, it happened again today.

Edited by Natty