The Sting of Losing Winnable Games

OFFNY

Just now, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/31)

That really sucked.

The Orioles led by a score of 5-2 in the middle of the game, the offense scored 8 runs overall, and they still lost.

o

Definitely winnable. I was about an hour behind in the game on the DVR. After the 3 run blast off of Givens, I watched all but the bottom of the 9th in fast forward. Life's too short. 

41 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Buck's obsession with the win rule kills this team. And Hellickson has been a disaster lately. My goodness.

It's not that easy to yank your starter when your starter the day before lasted 2.1 innings.    Our starters have thrown the third-fewest innings in the league.    

Now that rosters have expanded and Buck can bring up more arms, just watch and see how quick he is to yank these clowns.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It's not that easy to yank your starter when your starter the day before lasted 2.1 innings.    Our starters have thrown the third-fewest innings in the league.    

Now that rosters have expanded and Buck can bring up more arms, just watch and see how quick he is to yank these clowns.   

But that's the issue. The rosters are expanded. Basically any number of pitchers should have been available tonight.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:58 PM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/31)

That really sucked.

The Orioles led by a score of 5-2 in the middle of the game, the offense scored 8 runs overall, and they still lost.

o

o

Winning 2 extra-inning game over the next 3 days eases the pain from that loss a bit ........ ESPECIALLY the final game, in which the Orioles came from behind twice to win it. They gradually clawed their way back into a tie by scoring 3 runs after Chris Tillman ceded a 3-run home run in the 3rd inning, and Welington Castillo clubbed his 2nd home run of the game in the bottom of the 9th inning when the Orioles desperately needed it.

o

On 6/22/2016 at 1:49 PM, OFFNY said:

o

THE O.P. (June of 2016)

The last 2 losses have been hard to stomach. Last night, the Orioles blew a 3-run lead heading into the 7th inning. The night before, they jumped out to a 3-0 lead early in the game, had the bases loaded with nobody out an inning later, and failed to blow the Rangers out of the water. The Rangers subsequently came back to win the game by a score of 4-3. The Orioles had a runner on 3rd base with less than 2 outs in the top of the 9th inning, and Matt Wieters struck out (we needed only a sacrifice fly to tie the game.)

Those games hurt a lot.

We've also seen it go the other way.

There was the game against the Yankees on June 5th which was so frustrating for the first 7 and 2/3 innings. It appeared to be a game that the Orioles were destined to lose, as they kept coming up short in situations in which they could have at least tied the game, or even taken the lead. But Matt Wieters, with 2 outs and 2 strikes on him, came through with a 2-RBI single up the middle, and a 3rd run scored on the overthrow when Aroldis Chapman failed to back up his catcher on the throw to home plate. Zach Britton shut the Yankees down in the top of the 9th to cap the Orioles' win.

Then there was the game against the Angels in which the Orioles were down to their last strike in the top of the 9th inning, trailing by a score of 1-0. Matt Wieters came through with a 3-run home run, saving the Orioles in an otherwise bad offensive game for the team. Zach Britton again came in to shut the opponent down in the final inning, sealing another Orioles win.

So yes, these losses sting a lot. The unexpected wins seem great. Unless you are a team like the 2001 Mariners, the 1998 Yankees, or the 1984 Tigers (all of whom could easily afford to blow a game here and there without it causing the team and its fans much concern about their place in the standings), both the stinging losses and the glorious come-from-behind wins are going to happen throughout the course of the 162-game season. When they go against you, there is nothing that the team can do except put it behind them and go out and try to win the next game. There is nothing that the fans of the team can do except root for their (proverbial) heroes to do just that. Let's go Orioles, against the Padres tonight.

o

APRIL 28th (The Orioles Blow a 9-1 Lead to the Yankees)

On 4/29/2017 at 0:41 AM, OFFNY said:

o

I think that I need to read this about a half a dozen times before I go to bed tonight.

o

o

(More Than 4 Months Later)

That felt really good.

o

• 2 weeks later...
46 minutes ago, Pheasants said:

Givens has now pitched badly for 3 straight games (7 earned runs or inherited runners scoring).  Before that he was good for 4 games but before that he was bad for 5 (11 earned runs or inherited runners scoring.)  Someone needs to find the problem.  

He's tired.

1 hour ago, Pheasants said:

Then pitch Yacabonis (sp?) or some other guy from AAA.  Our radio team was agog that Boston had 14 relievers in the pen.  Let's use ours.

No argument from me.    I think Givens and Castro are both kind of spent.    I'd use them sparingly from here.    I thought Buck left Castro in two batters too long last night.

• 6 months later...