Anyone else excited about what Schoop has done?

Oriolesfan4life

I think he falls just short, but depending on injury could be a replacement candidate. I think Altuve, Cano, and Kinsler are definitely ahead of him, but I'm not sure about Pedroia or Odor. Pedroia and Schoop are very close, so Pedroia probably gets the nod due to name recognition and his career prior to this year, but I think Schoop has a strong case ahead of Odor...not that the position will be 5 deep in the AL anyway...or even 4 for that matter.

Odor looks like a star....he has to keep it up but wow. I'm a Schoop fan and agree that the plate discipline will ultimately determine how good he will be.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So glad Schoop wasn't traded this offseason. Guy is a great personality. Strong arm, meh range...big bat. Yes, his bat has holes, but he's a special player.

I agree for the most part, but every once in a while Schoop gets to a ball that I think he has no way of being close to. I think it has to do with him sometimes getting excellent reads off of the bat, and other times he doesn't. He doesn't have the elite speed/quickness that some second basemen have, but I think that he gets great reads and has a good pre-pitch routine that gives him a chance at getting to some balls.

Love Schoop. Dude hits bullets all over the place, I'm not sure anyone outside of Davis has more pure power on the team.

You and me both.Check my previous posts comparing him to Cano.This year, Cano has 19 HR to Schoops 16 and is hitting .299 to Schoops .291, so a better year by a thin margin, but Schoop is 24 and Cano is 34...who would YOU rather have LONG TERM?

Cano's on base percentage is .354 to Schoop's .314.

He'll never be a walk machine but he's a damn fine player and fun to watch. I hope he stays here for a long time.

We had a discussion a couple of weeks ago, in OH about Schoop and IMO, how he played plus defense.

I forgot which poster, but the comment was made about his lack of range.

I know, I saw on Sunday, Schoop ran right down all the way to the back of the COF seats. Good little hike for any 2nd.

Love Schoop. Dude hits bullets all over the place, I'm not sure anyone outside of Davis has more pure power on the team.

Cano's on base percentage is .354 to Schoop's .314.

He'll never be a walk machine but he's a damn fine player and fun to watch. I hope he stays here for a long time.

Trumbo has the most pure power on the team.

Maybe but I'd have to think about Davis there too. Davis has a pronounced upper cut so a lot of his shots are more high than far.

Just going by exit velocity, Trumbo hits the ball harder than anyone on the team. He would have been the team leader in exit velocity last year too, if he were on the team.

JJ Hardy hits the ball harder than people realize. He's currently second on the team in exit velocity. Jones is third.

We have five guys who hit the ball really hard.

That was a rocket that Hardy hit Sunday, just hooking foul, it looked like a HR, before it hooked.

Schoop is so dialed in right now. Mid-game, but his OPS is up to .846 now after doubling twice. If he's really an .825+ hitter, that pushes our offense from very good to elite (and right now, the team stats say we're elite, though I expect some significant regression at some point).

Schoop is so dialed in right now. Mid-game, but his OPS is up to .846 now after doubling twice. If he's really an .825+ hitter, that pushes our offense from very good to elite (and right now, the team stats say we're elite, though I expect some significant regression at some point).

Unsustainable BABiP.

However a fair bit of it may be for real.

I'm encouraged by the uptick in walks.

Archived