Comparing the O's three 7-game win streaks

Frobby

April 4-12: Outscored opponents 40-22. One win was a 9th inning, one-run walkoff. The team posted an .877 OPS with 13 homers in those games. The starters posted a 3.74 ERA in 33.2 IP.

May 7-14: Outscored opponents 47-19. One win was a 1-0 victory against Detroit. The team posted a .981 OPS with 18 homers in those 7 games. The starters posted a 3.11 ERA in 46.1 IP.

June 22-29: Outscored opponents 61-29. No one-run wins. The team posted a 1.009 OPS with 15 homers in those games. The starters posted a 4.50 ERA in 40 IP.

The offense performed well in all three streaks, but has really carried the team in the current streak. The pitching contributed a lot more in the prior streaks than it has this time.

April 4-12: Outscored opponents 40-22. One win was a 9th inning, one-run walkoff. The team posted an .877 OPS with 13 homers in those games. The starters posted a 3.74 ERA in 33.2 IP.

May 7-14: Outscored opponents 47-19. One win was a 1-0 victory against Detroit. The team posted a .981 OPS with 18 homers in those 7 games. The starters posted a 3.11 ERA in 46.1 IP.

June 22-29: Outscored opponents 61-29. No one-run wins. The team posted a 1.009 OPS with 15 homers in those games. The starters posted a 4.50 ERA in 40 IP.

The offense performed well in all three streaks, but has really carried the team in the current streak. The pitching contributed a lot more in the prior streaks than it has this time.

The last 7, Gallardo pitched twice and well, Ubaldo manged to get through with just a run in 5 innings, Gausman pitched a gem, Wilson was hit hard, and Tilly was knocked around and the worse outing of the 7.

Now, granted Tilly is this teams Ace, and it was just one game, and he has pitched some gems to.

I actually agree with Keith Law when he tweeted that the Orioles taking four out of six from Boston and Toronto earlier this month was just as impressive if not more so than this current seven game winning streak. Tampa Bay and San Diego just aren't very good teams. The Orioles will get significantly tougher during the second half of the season. Winning series against teams like Toronto and Boston and Cleveland is much more encouraging to me than sweeping a hapless Rays team.

I actually agree with Keith Law when he tweeted that the Orioles taking four out of six from Boston and Toronto earlier this month was just as impressive if not more so than this current seven game winning streak. Tampa Bay and San Diego just aren't very good teams. The Orioles will get significantly tougher during the second half of the season. Winning series against teams like Toronto and Boston and Cleveland is much more encouraging to me than sweeping a hapless Rays team.

I find them equally impressive. Play a bit better than .500 against the good teams, and crush the bad ones. That's a great formula for success.

Does our schedule really get tougher, putting aside that we play a lot of games on the road? Here's what I see:

Contenders: We've played 36/77 against contenders, with 41/85 to go. (BOS, TOR, CLE, KCR, TEX, HOU, LAD, SFG, WSN)

.500ish: We've played 17/77, with 20/85 to go. (NYY, DET, CWS, SEA)

Poor teams: we've played 24/77, with 24/85 to go. (TBR, MIN, LAA, OAK, COL, ARI, SDP)

Maybe marginally tougher, but not a lot.

I like that in the past 7 the offense hasn't been carried by the home run. To score 14 more runs with 3 fewer homers than the middle one is a good sign.

What has the bullpen era looked like during those streaks I wonder?

I like that in the past 7 the offense hasn't been carried by the home run. To score 14 more runs with 3 fewer homers than the middle one is a good sign.

What has the bullpen era looked like during those streaks I wonder?

Drake and McFarland did a lot of damage to the pen's ERA during this streak, no doubt.

• 4 weeks later...

The Orioles could use another 7-game winning streak now.

1 down, 6 to go.

The Orioles could use another 7-game winning streak now.

1 down, 6 to go.

This team has shown they are quite capable of it.

No reason to not expect to see another one or more.

As is always the case with myself, I'll be thrilled with a win tonight and a 2-game winning streak (O.G.A.A.T.)

But considering that the Orioles have already had three 7-game winning streaks so far this season, I believe that the quest for another one is fair discussion, hence the bump.

Archived