Bud Norris on his time in Baltimore

TradeAngelos

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-dodgers-0705-20160704-story.html

As for Norris, he admitted that he probably benefited from getting out of the American League East. Pitching in Atlanta suited him well, especially as he gained confidence in his cutter ? a pitch he seldom used in Baltimore but replaced his changeup with.

"The one thing you really have to remember is that that's the American League East," Norris said. "That's the toughest division in baseball. I've played in a couple now and those ballparks don't help pitchers. I've said it before. The AL East is all about the bombers and that's what the team markets to a certain degree, but I know what that staff and what we did that year [in 2014] and how we really picked up off each other's back, especially in the second half.

"To win the East by the margin we did, that spoke volumes to the defense, the guys behind the plate and the starters on the mound," Norris added. "Starting in the American League East is that difficult, to be that consistent [is tough]. ?. It's a tough division and it's a growth process for young pitchers to figure it out. You're not trying to play two years, you're trying to play 10, and as a starting pitcher, it's tough."

Pitching in the AL East is hard. Who knew.

Also found this interesting....

As for Norris, he admitted that he probably benefited from getting out of the American League East. Pitching in Atlanta suited him well, especially as he gained confidence in his cutter ? a pitch he seldom used in Baltimore but replaced his changeup with.

I don't know how to read that, if it was self imposed or at the behest of the team.

Archived