Schmuck from the Sun says trade Trumbo

Going Underground

A team willing to trade for two months of Trumbo is likely also not going to be willing to trade a piece of its rotation considering they like us will by trying to make the postseason.

Mancini is going to be the player traded at the deadline. Hopefully its for a starter who can help us beyond just this season because that is a lot cost controlled years to give up for just two months of production.

What if the A's want Kim for Rich Hill?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A team willing to trade for two months of Trumbo is likely also not going to be willing to trade a piece of its rotation considering they like us will by trying to make the postseason.

Mancini is going to be the player traded at the deadline. Hopefully its for a starter who can help us beyond just this season because that is a lot cost controlled years to give up for just two months of production.

Right. If we're going to trade Trumbo (a rental) maybe it's for a rental starter? If we're going to trade Mancini (I think we will), I too hope it's for a starter with some upside and years of control.

Right. If we're going to trade Trumbo (a rental) maybe it's for a rental starter? If we're going to trade Mancini (I think we will), I too hope it's for a starter with some upside and years of control.

It is standard practice to trade for a rental starter while giving up a good prospect. Mancini is no different and I would gladly deal him for a rental for this year.

It is standard practice to trade for a rental starter while giving up a good prospect. Mancini is no different and I would gladly deal him for a rental for this year.

I wouldn't. I think more highly of Mancini to trade him for a rental.

I don't see why a team would give up a #3 or #4 for half a season of Trumbo.
Trumbo would be a rental. Would the 3rd/4th starter also be a rental? I really don't want to get involved with rentals unless they are very, very, very good.

What if that second half swoon doesn't come? It is a contract year after all, and Trumbo wouldn't be the first guy to put up a monster year as he's on the cusp of free agency.

You would lose too much offense to gain an average pitcher in return.

And I wouldn't touch Gio at all. I certainly wouldn't trade anything of too much value for him. Too complacent and too easily frazzled.

Good points here.

What would the A's want with a 28 year old with a year and a half of control left?

What do the A's accomplish by hanging on to two and a half months of a 36-year-old starter whose shoulder is held together with binder clips and gaffer tape, when they're 12 under .500 in July?

So let me get this straight...we are in need of a quality starter, so to get one we are willing to sacrifice one of our most prolific offensive players on the basis that 'we know his stats fall off after the all-star break'?

Can someone explain :

1) Why this historical fall of in form is going to be attractive to other teams?

2) Why we assume that the O's coaches/manager won't get more from him in the second half of the season?

3) How we would mitigate the loss of firepower to maintain our leading position (bearing in mind a red hot starter will only mitigate this roughly 20% of the time)?

It seems like a slightly mad solution to me. We need quality starting pitching to supplement our offence, not replace it.

So let me get this straight...we are in need of a quality starter, so to get one we are willing to sacrifice one of our most prolific offensive players on the basis that 'we know his stats fall off after the all-star break'?

Can someone explain :

1) Why this historical fall of in form is going to be attractive to other teams?

2) Why we assume that the O's coaches/manager won't get more from him in the second half of the season?

3) How we would mitigate the loss of firepower to maintain our leading position (bearing in mind a red hot starter will only mitigate this roughly 20% of the time)?

It seems like a slightly mad solution to me. We need quality starting pitching to supplement our offence, not replace it.

Besides, the real answer is that someone needing Trumbo would not give up good pitching. He is a half year bat. For someone still in the race. They are not selling real pitchers. So. Schmuck.

Can someone explain :

The idea that a player will definitely or very probably fall off late in the year because he's done this in the past is fairly weak. It's something you'd probably want to monitor (i.e. fatigue, minor nicks, resulting in more rest days) but it's rather unfounded to assume Trumbo will be useless so he must be traded. Of course if the other side believed in this phenomenon they'd never trade anything of value for Trumbo, and you should always be skeptical of suggestions that us on the internets know more than MLB GMs about rather fundamental aspects of the game.

Archived