Wieters Talks About Accepting QO And The Future

Can_of_corn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I told you to go look at the thread. I said it was an overpay at the time. No hindsight needed.

Awesome for you if you thought that, but there was very few that thought this was a blockbuster trade at the time, whether that being Norris or that being Hader, at the time. It was moving a 19 year old arm who had solid success in his first year, but was ultimately drafted in the 19th round and who looked like a mid roation arm at best most likely who is several years away.

Is this a blockbuster trade? Let's be real: Norris is not a blockbuster piece to acquire. However, neither Hader nor Hoes were top pieces to give up, and Norris should be a very real upgrade to one of the biggest areas of weakness for the Orioles. The starting rotation should be stronger with him than it was without him, and for Dan Duquette, that was enough to make the trade.

http://www.camdenchat.com/2013/7/31/4575994/orioles-trade-rumors-bud-norris-lj-hoes-josh-hader-astros

I'm not the only one that feels that way as you can see above. That was from just one quick search on google.

Sure. Just fine is great when you need just fine. And so far, that pick has not dented anyone.

To go back on this, I totally agree.

You weren't getting anything more than a mid rotation arm at the MLB level for Hader and a 1st at that time anyway.

The Astros wouldn't do the deal without Hader. They saw it back then. The O's did too but were going for the win, and a lot can happen between Delmarva and Baltimore.

And LOL at the idea Matt ever backs up Sisco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Astros wouldn't do the deal without Hader. They saw it back then. The O's did too but were going for the win, and a lot can happen between Delmarva and Baltimore.

And LOL at the idea Matt ever backs up Sisco.

Matt won't back up anyone for many years.

Bud Norris was a big part of the only Orioles Team on the brink of the World Series in almost 2 decades.
What I do know is that Norris struggled horribly in 2015. He was released and the Braves snapped him up and they were able to fix what was wrong with him. Instead of releasing him, why couldn't the O's pitching coaches fix him? Then we'd have our much needed starter.

Well, that's your opinion which is fine. But Norris was a good mid rotation arm in 2014. Something that we needed, and something that helped us get to the playoffs and make a run. I'm happy with that move, although it sucks we lost out on Hader.

Totally agree. Norris was cheap (3 million in 2013) and was signed thru 2015. You have to give up a prospect for pitching, even moreso for a pitcher with a reasonable salary and a couple years of control. He had a very solid season for us too in 2014. No one here can predict with absolute certainty which prospect is going to succeed or fail.

Kudos to Duquette's scouting department for even drafting Hader (19th round) in their first draft back in 2012. If you find the assets you're entitled to use them.

I like Matt

But 4 years at 80 million? No way

I like Pena just fine

I like Pena just fine too...for 15 games a year. Pena's liabilities will be completely exposed if you trot him out there for 70 - 100 starts. Or do you prefer Joseph? I would rather see Gallardo hit than Joseph.

I agree with you that I don't want Wieters at 4/80 either. But I do hope he takes another QO and buys the team a year to further develop one of their not-quite-ready-for-primetime players. I don't think any of the guys like Sisco will able to take over the reigns by April.

The idea that Sisco is going to replace Wieters next year is silly. Kid has no pop in his bat and a suspect arm.

If Wieters isn't around next year your starting catcher will be Joseph or someone on another team now who probably hits poorly.

Archived