Joe Orsulak: Putting Dylan Bundy In Orioles' Rotation Would Risk His Future (He's starting anyway)

PressBoxOnline

How much does starting Bundy increase our chances at being a playoff team? How much does increasing his workload risk injury? I don't know but those are the twoquestions in DDs risk analysis that he has to answer before deciding. Personally, I'd baby Bundy and think long term

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see any similarity at all. Because of the timing of Strasburg's surgery, he didn't return to pitching until August of 2011, so clearly he wasn't going to throw a ton of innings between then and the end of the year. Nevertheless, he was used exclusively as a starter and pitched 5 innings in his 5th minor league game, then 6 innings the next time out, then was back in the major league rotation for 5 starts lasting 3-6 innings. They did keep him on a pretty strict pitch count, and he never threw more than 79 pitches. The next year, he pitched 159 innings, and though the Nats did shut him down early, they didn't baby him in the games he started. He threw 100+ pitches ten times, 90+ another ten times, and the other 8 starts were a bit less but often because he just hadn't pitched well and was yanked.

I think people forget that Bundy had his TJ surgery way back in 2013. He returned to the mound in June 2014, and made 9 starts. The O's shut him down about 3-4 weeks before the end of the MiL season. Then in 2015, he made 8 starts, the longest of which was 4 innings, before the calcium deposit issue showed up.

they shut him down at the 80 inning mark and would not let him pitch in the playoffs.

I am sure you know I wasn't asking you directly.

I am sure I will get some opinions, medically sound or not.

As for Bundy, all I can say is I am sure glad I am not the one who makes the decision and will just keep enjoying watching him pitch.

I read the arm. Medical Doctors don't know those answers either. Regarding the odds? That's anyone's guess. Gambling odds are not a science. Other than the layoff and vigorish.

I read the arm. Medical Doctors don't know those answers either. Regarding the odds? That's anyone's guess. Gambling odds are not a science. Other than the layoff and vigorish.

DD said this is not an exact science and that there isn't a perfect plan available on what they should do, he has seen pitchers babied and they still get hurt, and yet, they turn the guy lose and he does fine.

Yea, I guess that is what makes this discussion so interesting, no one really knows what the right answer should be and we can really only find out if they make the wrong decision, not the right one.

I don't think Orsulak has any more knowledge of the medical side of this than you or I. I'm sure the Orioles will be cautious and will be consulting the team doctors and perhaps outside doctors as well every step of the way. I'm not sure I agree that the O's won't let Bundy go beyond 75-80 pitches, though. That's not the sense I've gotten from Dan and Buck.

I had not read Melewski's interview with Duquette when I posted the above.

On the radio show, I asked Duquette if the Orioles are considering going past that innings limit for Bundy.

"We've been careful in terms of managing his workload and that is something we’ll keep a close eye on," he said. "This pitching is a very delicate thing, but I'm very encouraged how Dylan has looked. I'm inclined to let him pitch if he's pitching well and he wants to pitch."

So does mean the club would exceed the planned innings limit?

"I'm going to tell you something: I have been very careful with pitchers only to see them get hurt. I have been more aggressive with some and seen them pitch well," Duquette said. "So this is not an exact science where you say you can only do this or that. There are some guidelines you can follow, but pitching is a very delicate thing and we’ll see where it goes. Very encouraged by how he has done so far."

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2016/07/are-the-orioles-considering-adjusting-the-plan-for-dylan-bundy.html

I'm not convinced that going for it with a young arm (as being very careful and maximizing career length) is always or definitely the wrong decision. Harvey got to a World Series. Strasburg was shut down and the Nats will always ask themselves if that year could have gone differently.

Don't the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one?

Archived