Pitchers and the misconception of the importance of GIRD

csgordos

The idea that GIRD (Glenohumeral Internal Rotational Deficit) is a major cause of pain and issues in the shoulders and elbows of pitchers is debated in this attached podcast. The concept of GIRD being the major issue for injuries in throwers was popular in the early 2000s. However, it is now the belief based on research that an overall loss of combined internal and external rotation and muscular tightness that is limiting shoulder elevation (taking your hand toward the ceiling) are the culprits leading to injuries. One of the major thoughts to prevention is to take baseline measurements prior to the season of throwing and monitoring them as the season progresses. If significant motion is lost after any throwing session, then a program to regain normal motion should be initiated.

This podcast does not have any Orioles or pitchers in it as the last one I posted (Recovery from Tommy John Surgery), but for those who work with pitchers at any level or have an interest in the health of pitchers it should be of interest. Enjoy and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I will answer as best as I can.

Mike Reinold's Podcast: On this episode of the #AskMikeReinold show we have a questions related to baseball injuries and glenohumeral internal rotation deficit, or GIRD.

http://www.mikereinold.com/baseball-shoulder-injuries-gird/

Archived