Tillman should be in Cy Young Conversation

accinfo

If the season were to end with a bunch if starters have decent but unspectacular years, and Z-Bo goes perfect with a sub 1 ERA (KNOCKS ON ALL THE WOOD) I could see him getting some buzz.

I think we're in an era where there may be more idiosyncratic choices in the Cy Young because fewer innings (and wins) from starters makes it harder to differentiate candidates. It's like the Raffy Gold Glove or the recent Republican Primaries. It's called an open plurality. When you have 16 plausible candidates and no structured way to winnow them down unpredictable things can happen. J.A. Happ might win on the support of a relative handful of dedicated writers/voters.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if the Cy Young voting criteria contain anything like "character" or "being a team player" that might take Chris Sale out of the competition.

Did you see the throwback uniforms he was being asked to pitch in? He might get some sympathy votes. I'm as big a fan of 19-aught-six as anyone, but this was one step from asking them to all glue on handlebar moustaches and wear those fat stubby little gloves.

GettyImages-485449220.0.jpg

Did you see the throwback uniforms he was being asked to pitch in? He might get some sympathy votes. I'm as big a fan of 19-aught-six as anyone, but this was one step from asking them to all glue on handlebar moustaches and wear those fat stubby little gloves.

When my boss requires me to wear a suit in 100 degree weather, I don't get to object or cut up all of my coworkers suits. I don't make nearly the money that Chris Sale does. He can be a little uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[

Nineteen aught nothing. Those were the uniforms from 1976-1981.

Anyone remember the very brief period when the White Sox wore shorts? That experiment lasted two weeks, 40 years ago this August. http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/white-sox-shorts-anniversary-mlb-history-20140808

Yeah. I guess they had to give it up because half the team had raspberries on their lower legs and they refused to slide into a base any more. LOL.

Yeah. I guess they had to give it up because half the team had raspberries on their lower legs and they refused to slide into a base any more. LOL.

In the article I linked, it says the White Sox were a perfect 8 for 8 in stolen bases during the experiment. But I'm sure it wasn't fun.

Those are absolutely atrocious.

When my boss requires me to wear a suit in 100 degree weather, I don't get to object or cut up all of my coworkers suits. I don't make nearly the money that Chris Sale does. He can be a little uncomfortable.

Are you being asked to perform at a very high level of athletic achievement against others who are nearly equally skilled but not handicapped by wearing pajamas?

Nineteen aught nothing. Those were the uniforms from 1976-1981.

I'm reasonably sure those uniforms were 1976 homages to the uniforms they wore in the early 1900s:

al_1903_chicago.gif

I think we're in an era where there may be more idiosyncratic choices in the Cy Young because fewer innings (and wins) from starters makes it harder to differentiate candidates. It's like the Raffy Gold Glove or the recent Republican Primaries. It's called an open plurality. When you have 16 plausible candidates and no structured way to winnow them down unpredictable things can happen. J.A. Happ might win on the support of a relative handful of dedicated writers/voters.

Well, it certainly works when selecting a presidential candidate. :rolleyes:

I don't know the guy to the left, it looks like a coach. It also looks like he's wearing sporty maternity clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're a rainmaker or extremely high performer being paid below market rates, you may just get away with it.

Archived