Are you in favor of the Miley trade?

Frobby

Are you in favor of the Miley trade?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Are you in favor of the Miley trade?

• Yes. He's an upgrade and the cost is reasonable
    • Yes. Not sure if he's an upgrade, but he gives us flexibility.
    • No. He's not an upgrade.
    • No. Even if he's a slight upgrade, Miranda was too much to give up
    • No. Even if he's a slight upgrade, his contract is too expensive compared to his value.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ambivalent.

He's an upgrade to Ubaldo. But we are now spending $36m and locking up 3 potential spots in the rotation next year on Miley, Gallardo and Ubaldo.

That said, I think it's very possible Miranda can put up similar numbers to Miley soon.

He can at least average 5-6 IP and pitch OK enough.

So, meh. Don't hate it. Don't love it. But hamstrings us next year.

I agree with McLovin in the meh sense. But he gives us another starting arm and Miranda isn't too steep of a price as his ceiling isn't that high either (best case, he ends up being a little bit better than Miley). IMO, I think this trade might be worth about a win for us versus what we had. And IMO, it's going to become a tighter race once the weather (and thus the bats) begin to cool down some. Heck, our bats have seemed to cool off already of late.

1) I think we got player value in the deal. I think Miranda could AT BEST be Miley, and I don't rate the chance of that happening to be very high.

2) I'm surprised we took on the 2017 salary obligation and realize that could affect our ability to build a team in the offseason, so that's a downside.

3) Miley might not be great. But I don't think he is a high threat to be knocked out in 3 or fewer innings every time he pitches, like Ubaldo has been. That helps our bullpen, and it enables us to move Worley or Bundy back to the bullpen where they have been very effective. It makes us a better team. Although Ubaldo might still be eating a roster spot.

4) It's good to finally have a lefty starter.

5) If getting Miley means we are passing on a chance to get Matt Moore or even Hellickson, well that sucks. But I honestly think we had zero chance of getting nay of those guys, and if we did we would have given up a heck of a lot more than a 27 year old Miranda. So that doesn't bother me.

Overall, a net positive. With the noted drawbacks.

If the Orioles had done nothing everyone would be mad. Some are still unhappy. This move isn't great ...but we didn't have the chips and gutting the team of Sisco, Mancini, and others would've been a bad move long term.

This is quite correct. We frankly don't have a lot of pieces to give. He gives us a little bit of an upgrade in starting pitching without hurting the team in the short-term (and minimal long-term damage too).

As far as going anywhere in the playoffs, without adding an ace pitcher, this team isn't likely going far anyway so this isn't the year to go for broke. Even if we did have the opportunity, the playoffs tend to be pretty random anyway once you're there so I'm not sure if I want to get rid of what very little we have left in the pipeline.

I am in favor of the trade.

I wanted Miranda to get a start in NY after the break. Hope he does well in Seattle.

I'm not worried about Gallardo, Ubaldo, and Miley all on the same staff next season. Not going to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

o

I believe that there is now less pressure to push Bundy into going deeper into games.

And I think that there is a little less pressure on Tillman to feel like that he necessarily needs to win every time that he takes the mound.

The starting rotation was hemorrhaging, and now it's just bleeding moderately. We just need a good cutman, like Ace Marotta.

Miley is now the teams #3 and has 200 inning potential. If he can keep his ERA under 5 pitching in the AL East, he's a bargain.

Well there is also the matter of the rest of his contract, which is actually quite expensive. He's due nearly $9 million next year. Providing an ERA anywhere near 5 while costing that much money isn't a bargain.

That said, maybe there's a chance he can be a mid-4s kinda guy. That would be acceptable.

This is a good deadline trade. We give up someone whose best case upside seems to be the person we got in return. We don't need the needle to move, we just need the floor not to crash out from underneath us. This shores up the floor boards. Best case, Miley gets hot for the next few months and wins us some critical games.

A classic Duquette value play. If Miley's better than Ubaldo, then it's a win. If he's better than Ubaldo and can reliably go 5+ innings a game then he's a solid win. If he can't, well it's only Ariel Miranda after all.

Unless this has knocked the O's out of the genuine chance for a better SP, I don't get why there could be any angst.

Archived