O's acquire Steve Pearce for Jonah Heim

McLovin

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good luck to Jonah Heim who has been traded to the Tampa Bay Rays for Steve Pearce! <a href="https://t.co/onmdxEZu4F">https://t.co/onmdxEZu4F</a> <a href="https://t.co/MlnpgS9A7P">pic.twitter.com/MlnpgS9A7P</a></p>— Frederick Keys (@FrederickKeys) <a href="

">August 1, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I heard a comment from DD where he said "Pearce allows us to carry one less bench player.". Any possibility that DD is thinking about a 2 man bench or does he simply mean that Pearce makes the 3 man bench more tenable?

With a 2 man bench, not sure who backs up Manny at 3rd or Jones in CF, but I like the idea of carrying an extra reliever.

I heard a comment from DD where he said "Pearce allows us to carry one less bench player.". Any possibility that DD is thinking about a 2 man bench or does he simply mean that Pearce makes the 3 man bench more tenable?

With a 2 man bench, not sure who backs up Manny at 3rd or Jones in CF, but I like the idea of carrying an extra reliever.

I saw that too. I interpret that as meaning a 3 man bench...which means that Reimold is going to be DFA.

I saw that too. I interpret that as meaning a 3 man bench...which means that Reimold is going to be DFA.

That's how I read it. UNLESS he means:

Flaherty optioned

Pearce can backup 2B, 3B

Manny backup to SS

Reimold stays

Rosters expand

Flaherty called back up

DD doesn't like DFA'ing players unless necessary.

I think a three man bench-Joseph backs up catcher, Flaherty backs up all the IF positions, corner OF and emergency catcher, Pearce can backup corner OF, 1B, 2B and 3B. Machado backs up SS. Davis or Alvarez can play 3B in a jam. I'm only missing CF; can Kim back up Jones? Can Reimold if we keep him and send Flaherty down?

Flaherty optioned

Pearce can backup 2B, 3B

Manny backup to SS

Reimold stays

Rosters expand

Flaherty called back up

I think it may be that until September. I don't think they want to have to bat either Alvarez or Kim every time a lefty pitches.

I'd DFA Ubaldo and go with 7 man BP. Keep Flaherty up. DFA Reimold. Bring back Borbon. Let Kim hit against lefties. Give Jones and Hardy breaks in August.

Flaherty optioned

Pearce can backup 2B, 3B

Manny backup to SS

Reimold stays

Rosters expand

Flaherty called back up

I think you are on to something here. I never considered optioning Flaherty until I read your post and found Dan's quote. It sounds like a Buck and Dan move.

Flaherty optioned

Pearce can backup 2B, 3B

Manny backup to SS

Reimold stays

Rosters expand

Flaherty called back up

Won't someone need to be DFA'd to make room for Pearce on the 40 man?

Good point.

A potential counterpoint to what I was saying: It could be that DD wanted Pearce last offseason, but after Angelos got involved in the Davis negotiations there was no longer any reason to bring him on. If that's the case, DD probably doesn't feel like he's swallowing any pride by bringing Pearce back.

We were getting Fowler. With Fowler, Kim , Jones, Trumbo and

Rickard there was really no place for Pearce.

Archived